Stocking Three 55 gallons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have three 55's to stock. Toss some suggestions at me please! Here are my ideas-

Tank One-
Scarlet Badis
CPDs
Ember Tetras
Chili Rasboras
Sterbai, Peppered, Panda, False Julii, C012, Nanus, and Schwartz Cories
Shrimp

Tank Two-
Guppies(Non-negotiable)
Cories
Angels or Dwarf Cichlids
Tetras
Livebearers
Barbs
Danios
Rasboras
Loaches
Spiny Eel(?)
Gourami
Plecos

And TANK THREE will house either African Malawi Cichlids(first choice), African Tangs, Discus, Angels, or Bettas
Since African Malawi Cichlids are my firsts choice, here are the ones I like-
Yellow Labs
BLue Johannis
Cobalt Blue Zebra
Demonsai
Electric Blue Cichlids
Red Zebra
Aulonocara Maleri, Stuartgranti Hai Reef and Maleri Island, and Baenschi
Cynotilapia Afra Red Top Lundo, Jalo Reef, White Top
Melanochromis Joanjohnsonae
Psuedotropheus Socolofi
Cynotilapia Afra New North Reef Hara Afra
Labeotropheus Fuellerborni Chalo White Belly
Labidochromis Caeruleus Nkhata Bay, Perlmutt
Metriaclima Pulpican Kingsizei, Hongi Island
Aulonocara Jacobfreibergi Eureka Red
Pseudotropheus Sp. Red Zebra, Acei, Elongatus, Perspicax Orange Cap, Polit
Nimbochromis Livingstoni
Melanochromis Auratus
Lethrinops Sp. Red Cap

I've no clue about any of these fish, these are just an example of the ones I like. Sorry for all the scientific names and the long list. Not great with African Cichlids, or most cichlids besides angels and dwarfs.
Thank you!

Malawi tank
The first thing you need to decide is how aggressive of a tank you would like. That will narrow down the list a good bit.

Last edited:
In tank 2 I'd do 2 angels with the guppies or 1 pearl/honey/dwarf gourami with the guppies (although angels are always my first choice). I'd stay away from barbs and danios with the angels but rasboras or small tetras (cardinals or rummynose) would be perfect. Then on the bottom either the corys or 3 yo-yo loaches or 6-8 Kuhli loaches. Sorry don't know about the eel since I just don't keep them.

Thanks everyone! Would harlequin rasboras be too small? And could I add a pair of rams and a pair of apistos if I had lots of cover?
As for the African tank, I'd like a tank that is in the passive aggressive area if you get my meaning. However, I really don't mind how aggressive the tank is. I've got plenty of extra tanks for any fish that get mean, wether they are cichlids, neons, or guppies. Any fish at all.
In regards to the community, how does this sound-
15 guppies
2 angels
2 rams
2 apistos
6 cherry barbs
10 harlequin rasboras
10 cardinal tetras
6 peppered Cories
6 false julli Cories
1 pearl gourami
I know I will have many pieces of DW and tons of plants in this tank. For the lighting on it, I have a four bulb fixture that's either metal halides or T5HOs, that are around 25 watts each and 6500K. I might even go so far as CO2. Lol maybe I can finally have a planted tank.

Thanks everyone! Would harlequin rasboras be too small? And could I add a pair of rams and a pair of apistos if I had lots of cover?
As for the African tank, I'd like a tank that is in the passive aggressive area if you get my meaning. However, I really don't mind how aggressive the tank is. I've got plenty of extra tanks for any fish that get mean, wether they are cichlids, neons, or guppies. Any fish at all.
In regards to the community, how does this sound-
15 guppies
2 angels
2 rams
2 apistos
6 cherry barbs
10 harlequin rasboras
10 cardinal tetras
6 peppered Cories
6 false julli Cories
1 pearl gourami
I know I will have many pieces of DW and tons of plants in this tank. For the lighting on it, I have a four bulb fixture that's either metal halides or T5HOs, that are around 25 watts each and 6500K. I might even go so far as CO2. Lol maybe I can finally have a planted tank.

The rasboras would be fine I keep them with angels but you need to pick a pair of rams or a pair of apisto's. A 55g even with alot of small territories if either or both pairs would spawn there would be issues. Or you could do one ram and one apisto. Another thing is light that high especially halides is going to be too much and you would have to have CO2 and dose ferts daily. I can only run my halides 6 hours in my 220g.

Ok I've separated them by aggression if I removed it it was either because they get to big to be in a 55 or me and Google didn't know what they are or there was only one in its class. Now you can't have more than one type of Cynotilapia or Labidochromis in one tank so youll need to decide witch one you want to keep. Also I would only pick 3 maybe 4 different ones and only do those, except for Aulonocara. A peacock tank (Aulonocara) would look very nice. Let me know if you need anything else :)

Aggressive - mbuna
Metriaclima pulpican
Polit
Perspicax Orange Cap
Cynotilapia sp. "hara"
Labidochromis joanjohnsonae
Pseudotropheus socolofi
Demonsai

Mild group - mbuna
Acei
Red zebra
Elongatus
Lethrinops Sp. Red Cap
Hongi
Labidochromis Caeruleus Nkhata Bay
Yellow Labs
BLue Johannis
Cobalt Blue Zebra
Cynotilapia afra (Jalo Reef)

Aulonocara
Maleri
Stuartgranti Hai Reef
Maleri Island
Baenschi
Jacobfreibergi Eureka Red

~edit~
Also you may still want to look up the profiles to make sure I got them all right. Plus note the size because its a good idea to try and stay under 5" and some I wasn't sure about

Last edited:
So I think I figured out the nano and the community. Here are my ideas-
55 discus or sunshine peacocks
55 community
Stock-
10 guppies
6 each of the following-
Panda barbs
Cardinal tetras
Penguin tetras
Cherry barbs
1 pearl gourami
2 gbr
3 platies
1 Molly
1 swordtail
55 nano
Stock-
6 scarlet badis
10 each
CPDs
Chili rasboras
Harlequin rasboras
Zebra nerites
RCS
Ember tetras
5 each
Sterbai, peppered, panda, nanus, false julii, C012, Schwartz, hasbrous cories
2 zebra otos
4 otos

I love my boesemani rainbows, rummynose tetra's, Roseline sharks, bloodfin tetra's, and balloon molly's awesome community fish too :)

fishenthusiastbeginner said:
I love my boesemani rainbows, rummynose tetra's, Roseline sharks, bloodfin tetra's, and balloon molly's awesome community fish too :)

I like rummy owes but roselines get to be like 6 inches and I don't want them taking up all my tank space.

Yea they do get a little bigger but they're really fun to watch and everyone always comments on them. I know theyre more of a schooling fish but I only have two and they do awesome without overpowering the tank. Im sure whatever u decide on though will look great :)

Yea they do get a little bigger but they're really fun to watch and everyone always comments on them. I know theyre more of a schooling fish but I only have two and they do awesome without overpowering the tank. Im sure whatever u decide on though will look great :)

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom