Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

codygregg

Aquarium Advice Regular
I read on an older post ( http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/25-gallon-stocking-ideas-180973.html ) that these would be ok stocking options for a 25 gallon. Is this true? It seems wrong for some reason.

Stock #1
1 betta
School of neons
Small school of cories

Stock #2
1 Angelfish
School of larger tetras
Bristlenose

Are these really good stocks for a 25gal tank? I'm looking to stock a second 25gal now and think these would be awesome if they would actually work.

the second will work if the 25 gallon is high enough and you have soft acidic water.

the first i would say no because of the betta, i dont like to mix bettas with other fish as it just stresses them out.

the second will work if the 25 gallon is high enough and you have soft acidic water.

the first i would say no because of the betta, i dont like to mix bettas with other fish as it just stresses them out.

I think the first should be fine as long as you don't get a particularly aggressive betta. I've kept one with neons and bristlenose plecos and he did just fine until I moved him from the tank to make a betta sorority in there. The females do fine with the neons and plecos as well. I think the second plan is good too, as long as you have a fairly tall tank. Angels need the vertical room because their fins can grow to be very tall. I disagree, however that you need soft acidic water. Most angels available today are tank bred and can tolerate most waters. I've had angels breed in my hard, alkaline water.

Stocking #2 is my choice. While betta's mostly leave cories alone the same can't be said for other small fish. Alot depends on the temperment of the betta and is always a risk. Plus with option #2 you get larger fish that will make for a better viewing in the tank. Just be sure in research any fish you want to add with angels as there are many tetras that tend to be nippers where angels are concerned. My two favorite choices for angel tanks are cardinal and rummynose tetras. You can also substitue cory's for a BNP. Also you don't necessarily need soft acidic water for angels unless you getting some wild caught or specially raised angels. Most will acclimate to the tanks water parameter. It helps to know your ph, kh, gh tho just to know where your tank water readings are.

I think the first should be fine as long as you don't get a particularly aggressive betta. I've kept one with neons and bristlenose plecos and he did just fine until I moved him from the tank to make a betta sorority in there. The females do fine with the neons and plecos as well. I think the second plan is good too, as long as you have a fairly tall tank. Angels need the vertical room because their fins can grow to be very tall. I disagree, however that you need soft acidic water. Most angels available today are tank bred and can tolerate most waters. I've had angels breed in my hard, alkaline water.

very interesting and something i did not know, ive always wanted angels but with my hard alkaline water i assumed i would not be able to keep them because i thought they needed soft acidic water

Stocking #2 is my choice. While betta's mostly leave cories alone the same can't be said for other small fish. Alot depends on the temperment of the betta and is always a risk. Plus with option #2 you get larger fish that will make for a better viewing in the tank. Just be sure in research any fish you want to add with angels as there are many tetras that tend to be nippers where angels are concerned. My two favorite choices for angel tanks are cardinal and rummynose tetras. You can also substitue cory's for a BNP. Also you don't necessarily need soft acidic water for angels unless you getting some wild caught or specially raised angels. Most will acclimate to the tanks water parameter. It helps to know your ph, kh, gh tho just to know where your tank water readings are.

Everyone thought it was a crime to put one in my 28 gallon 21" tall tank..

Thanks you for all the advice! And I like the second stock better I think. And I don't know the parameters because this will be the tank that I'm buying soon but the pH in my other tank normally stays just barely above a 7.

Thanks you for all the advice! And I like the second stock better I think. And I don't know the parameters because this will be the tank that I'm buying soon but the pH in my other tank normally stays just barely above a 7.

I wouldn't put an angel in there. Maybe an opaline gourami instead!

Back
Top Bottom