Stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WaterPond

Aquarium Advice Addict
My 20gallon reef is done cycling and i bought a small ocellaris clownfish for it already. Im having trouble deciding if i would rather have a firefish goby, or a royal gramma, I also was a bicolour blenny.

Now, i have been reading that firefish are jumpers, and my tank is open top, and i want to keep it that way. Has anyone had experience with firefish, are they really jumpers?

Preferably i would like to have both the gramma and the firefish (plus a bicolour blenny and clownfish) but i think that would be pusing it, would it not?

So... i would like to hear some pros and cons about both the firefish and the gramma just to help me decide. :?

Firefish are considered jumpers. There is a mesh netting made of clear polypropylene that people are making tops out of that do not distort from heat and allow maximum light penetration to prevent fish from jumping. Here is one source just so you can visualize the netting: http://www.internetmesh.net/industrial.htm
As long as you keep up on water changes there is no reason you cannot have the ocellaris, firefish, and bi-color. I would leave out either the firefish or royal gramma due to possible fighting (same niche, somewhat comparable shape, small space)...my choice is keep the firefish.

you see, i love the firefish, but my mom loves the grammas.

I really do like the grammas, but firefish are just so interesting, and don't look like your classic kindof fish, you know?

Looks like i have some thinking to do.

I've recently picked up a Royal.. 7-8 .. Increadable color, and very shy, which is typical of the fish from what I have read. As to which to get.. shrug.. cant help ya there. You will have to make that choice.
As for jumpers. Any fish can be a jumper (carpet surfer). I didnt want a glass cover as I've read it can reduce PH and such so I went w/ egg crate and cut it into 4 sections and around any equipment that may be in the way. The crate sits great on the lip of the tank and I havnt noticed any reduction in light or shadows. Egg crate is also cheap :) Ya can try it and if ya dont like it toss it or use it as a base for any potted plants you might have.

I have a royal gramma and a pruple firefish. They are both great fish. While firefish may carry the reputation of "jumpers", I have had mine for a couple of years in a topless tank with not issues.

ok, well, purple firefish is what i really wanted. My mom still gasps every time she sees a picture of a royal gramma and comments on their beauty.

I think i will probably end up going with the gramma. I am going to look at some sort of a mesh cover for my tank. My decision may also depend on availability in my two small LFS 's. Royal grammas seem to be more available, but they let me order any fish i want in there.

Haha, sheesh, this is hard. I already have FW MTS so i can keep all the fish i want, i really don't need or want SW MTS :roll:

Back
Top Bottom