stones for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbheternal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have alot of slate strips. 2 inch X 6 inch. some shorter some longer. anyway. these stones were in a Saltwater tank 40+ years ago. they were my mothers. can i use them in my 10L Freshwater tank. i would like to build a new cave for my Pleco. Any info and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

cbheternal said:
I have alot of slate strips. 2 inch X 6 inch. some shorter some longer. anyway. these stones were in a Saltwater tank 40+ years ago. they were my mothers. can i use them in my 10L Freshwater tank. i would like to build a new cave for my Pleco. Any info and advice would be greatly appreciated.

now im not sure. Slate. or Shale.

Pour vinegar on them. If it fizzes, no, you can't use them. If it does nothing, yes, you can use them.

Slate = yes. Shale = I'm not sure but someone else should pipe in.

did a quick check. and slate is a type of shale. nut actual shale is comprised of silt. where slate is mostly sand ( quartz ) and other minerals

i was mostly concerned about the stone absorbing salt from being in a saltwater tank. beit 40 yrs ago. been sitting an a box in the garage since i can remember. and im 34. :)

Back
Top Bottom