Stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Nowhere

Aquarium Advice Freak
Where do most people get the stones in there tanks? And how do you prep them before you put them in? Upgrading my tank atm and wondering if i could add some.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I usually just go down to the local river to get stones. If there's no river around your area just go out and go exploring till you find stuff you like. Just boil them for about 20 minutes then let them air dry.

Never boil rocks/stones as they can explode. If you find stones you want to use in your aquarium you can scrub them good with a clean brush using hot water and even pour hydrogen peroxide 3% over them to kill off any unwanted hitch hikers. Let peroxide sit for 20 minutes. I also suggest putting a few drops of vinegar on each rock and if it bubbles or fizzes. If it does this means it will leach calcium carbonates into the tank which will raise Kh and Ph.

Oh thanks allot that helps quite a bit

Never boil rocks/stones as they can explode. If you find stones you want to use in your aquarium you can scrub them good with a clean brush using hot water and even pour hydrogen peroxide 3% over them to kill off any unwanted hitch hikers. Let peroxide sit for 20 minutes. I also suggest putting a few drops of vinegar on each rock and if it bubbles or fizzes. If it does this means it will leach calcium carbonates into the tank which will raise Kh and Ph.

+1
Never boil your rocks. I usually use either peroxide or bleach.
I get my rocks from a local river/stream. However, if you have a large tank/pond, you can go to a stone store (not sure there exact name :lol: )

Local Rocks in Fish Tanks

Where do most people get the stones in there tanks? And how do you prep them before you put them in? Upgrading my tank atm and wondering if i could add some.

Hello Mr...

No need to jump through any hoops to decorate your fish tank. Just drive to the local country or rural areas that don't have laws against picking up rocks and wood pieces and help yourself. Just take a little vinegar with you. If you find a piece you like, drop some vinegar on it. If there's a reaction of any sort, don't use it. If not, take it home and rinse it in some warm tap water and put into the tank. Keep it simple.

B

Rocks collected from local streams, lakes, and such often need more than just a rinse since often times they have unwanted hitchhikers. You can introduce algae, hydra's, snails and eggs, along with a lot of other undesirable things that you don't want in your tank. Taking a few extra minutes to use hydrogen peroxide can be well worth the time if you end up adding things in your tank you don't want. Simple may be good but being safe rather than sorry is the way to go.

I unfortunately have a desire to waste my money on aquascaping stones. But on the bright side, I only had to invest once as they'll last forever.

I have Seiryu, Yamaha, and Ohko stones. Guess it's just a matter of taste as I feel the hardscape can really make an impactful difference in the overall composition of your scape. I tend to look at it more for the artistry.

But when I first started, I was content with decorative smooth river stones I picked up at a local arts & crafts store.

Last edited:
Thx again for all the replies def gives me options now

Cleaning Rocks and Driftwood

Rocks collected from local streams, lakes, and such often need more than just a rinse since often times they have unwanted hitchhikers. You can introduce algae, hydra's, snails and eggs, along with a lot of other undesirable things that you don't want in your tank. Taking a few extra minutes to use hydrogen peroxide can be well worth the time if you end up adding things in your tank you don't want. Simple may be good but being safe rather than sorry is the way to go.

Thanks Cats...

Never heard of anything like this or ever used hydrogen peroxide, but anything is possible. The weather in my part of the country is pretty hot and dry in the summer and cold in the winter, so anything bacteria related that could survive this type of environment would be pretty remote and I've made a habit of using a little standard aquarium salt in all my tanks. I suppose, in a more tropical climate, there might be something that could be introduced that you wouldn't want.

Good point.

B

Back
Top Bottom