Storing fish food after you open it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartinBlank

Aquarium Advice Freak
The recommendation is commonly to not use fish food that you will not use in a month or two as it loses its nutritional value. Sound recommendation.

But it sure would be nice to be able to buy the larger amount to save some money. What are the thoughts of alternative containers for storage? Buying a larger can of fish food and then storing it in small tupperware / rubbermaid type containers? Think that would keep the fish food viable? Or probably still not good enough?

Keep excess food in a cool dark place (i.e. refrigerator). We routinely buy food by the pound and store it for up to 6 months.

I've got several types of food sealed up in food saver bags (the ones that suck the air out), in the drawer of my fridge... Everything from NLS pellets to no-name garlic flakes.

This is what mine looks like...

img_1417088_0_b9874cb9ae016c33f671a02af424782a.jpg

Food gets "broken down" by oxidation, light damage, heat, cold and bacteria/molds. The food saver bags, put in the fridge, pretty much eliminates those factors. I found a good write up on what vitamins get damaged by which factors from the Bellvue College website.

Food Preparation and Storage Impact on Vitamins
Heat Exposure
Food preparation and preservation methods that use high temperatures for long periods affect heat-sensitive vitamins. Canning is an excellent way to protect foods from bacteria and fungi, but the time and temperature used are important. A short time at high temperature retains more vitamins. Thiamin, riboflavin and vitamin C are destroyed by heat. Acid helps prevent vitamin degradation.

Cold Exposure

Most foods are best kept at cooler temperatures to minimize spoilage. Freezing is an excellent preservation method with minimal nutrient loss, if foods are kept at 0o F. Some vitamin C is lost by exposure to air while preparing foods for freezing and pantothenic acid, a B vitamin, is destroyed by freezing. Some plant foods, however, cannot be frozen because tissue damage results from freezing. When thawed, damaged tissues are, shall one say, "slimed".

Light Exposure

Riboflavinis destroyed by light, including UV light. Milk stored in clear glass jars in the grocery will lose some of its riboflavin.

Air Exposure

Some vitamins, notably vitamin C, are destroyed by exposure to air. Chopping or slicing foods exposes more surfaces to air, increasing nutrient loss. All cut foods and juices should be kept in sealed containers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom