Strange algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is Rhizoclonium. It usually shows up in tanks with low circulation/flow and often poor water quality. It will respond to spot treating with liquid carbon or hydrogen peroxide 3%. You can add a nano powerhead in the tank to increase flow. Run lighting 6 hours only till algae is gone along with checking your nitrate and phosphate levels. I don't know your water schedule changing but doing a 50% weekly WC will really help keep nutrients and toxin levels low.

It is Rhizoclonium. It usually shows up in tanks with low circulation/flow and often poor water quality. It will respond to spot treating with liquid carbon or hydrogen peroxide 3%. You can add a nano powerhead in the tank to increase flow. Run lighting 6 hours only till algae is gone along with checking your nitrate and phosphate levels. I don't know your water schedule changing but doing a 50% weekly WC will really help keep nutrients and toxin levels low.

Thank you, although I don't know what to do, as the aquarium is with life.

I removed the neons and two of the breeding pair of Peacocks... But to catch all of the shrimp will require a break down.
Do you think that having that plant 3" from the surface, under intense lighting, with no co2 would cause it? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1394980792.495731.jpg
It seems to just fall off... I an adding a chunk of Ricca and Duck weed to help block some of the light

The shrimp seem to be happy i have several with berries. And a ton of babies..
Yellow Cherry
Fire Red Cherry
Blue berry
Pinocchio
Super Tiger
Bumble bee
A strange brown shrimp
African Vampire "baby"
Amano
And a hundred of so babies of whoever

Aquarium
13gal
AQ HB filter W/surface skimmer
A solid non glass heater
Fluval LED light

I change 3gal every other day
A 50/50 mix of RO and Tap

Alternate sponge changes every month on filter

80 temp

Lights are on 8hrs

Ammonia is 0

Nitrite is 0

Nitrate is 5

Kh is 80

GB is 30

PH is 7.5

I will order one of the circ. pumps, i see them on Amazon...

Thank you for your advice.

You don't need to remove the fish and shrimp to spot treat with hydrogen peroxide.
And yes, having high light without dosing fertilizers and a carbon source (liquid carbon or CO2) will cause major algae problems. Trust me, I've done it!

With all the various shrimp you have I don't think I'd use a liquid carbon so you really need to run lighting 6 hours daily and cover a lot of the surface with floating plants or use screen which will cut lighting back.

I went ahead and broke everything down and did a major cleaning... Added a bunch of Ricca and duckweed to break the light intensity and removed the surface skimmer. Added a small CO2 system, and a hydor 240 to get things moving... I Pruned all algae leaves and added some contortion vallisneria, more Java moss, Fissidens moss, Monosolenium, and a small start of Bolbitis heudelotii.
Lol, when i removed all the shrimp... I counted 96! Wow!... Thats cool!
Anyone know how to remove those pesky Nerite eggs of the glass?
Hopefully things go better. This was my first attempt at such a small aquarium and my first attempt at shrimp. Thank you everyone for your advice,)
I want to upload a photo... But it tells me i have exceeded my limit:(

you can upload to another site and post the direct link OR you can delete some photos to make room :) I've had luck using a clean toothbrush to remove snail eggs in my tank. Might try it.

Back
Top Bottom