Strange Alien Pods or eggs need expert help plz

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ckhawk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello Everyone , I have been keeping fish for almost thirty years and I have never had this or seen this before . And I am hoping somebody knows what these are .
As its driving me nuts not knowing what these white pods are .

I have these strange white eggs that appeared out of nowhere and slowly multiple . they are adhered to the side of some rocks .and also along the first layer of gravel along the glass .

I left them alone at first and watched them , they never hatched . But every two- three weeks they seem to multiply .
They don't move , they don't gain size , they don't change colors. They don't do anything really.

They are like 1-2 mm. And are hard but brittle . And hollow inside .They seem stuck to the rock surface and when poked they crack ,and do not come off the rock easy
The shell cracks like a chicken egg but there is almost nothing inside . A small white jelly but not a full embryo or anything like organs or innards or organs .

At first I thought they were some kind of egg but after several weeks of watching them I know there something strange .

This is in a 2 yr. old community tank , with under gravel and an aqua clear filter with all specs nominal . Regular maintenance, never use any chemicals
No problems ever ,all rocks are old and have been in my tanks for years , also they are bleached and boiled then thoroughly rinsed before this tank was set up . there is a red tail shark, male beta , 2 rosy boras , several neon tetras, Pleco, CAE, glass catfish and some snails and a few live plants .

Everybody is doing great no problems or anything for over two years and there have been a few recent additions ,like the new snails and rosy .
The new ads were quarantined for two days and inspected before adding them into the tank and looked fine so it's possible they were introduced from one of them
but these pods appeared almost 3 -4 weeks after the latest addition .
So it seems like they just grew out of nowhere and I'm worried of hundreds growing and contaminating the tank over time and I dread a full break down and clean restart .

Any clue what the heck these are.? , I'm guessing some kind of barnacle .

Pictures are a bit blurry bit best I could get , one is under a backlight , the other is under a magnifying glass and one is a rock out of the water .

Thanks much for any advice or thoughts .

Attachments

• image-3368618717.jpg
    image-3368618717.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 86
  • image-2535631678.jpg
    image-2535631678.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 93
  • image-3543278041.jpg
    image-3543278041.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 83
  • image-3244333915.jpg
    image-3244333915.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 88
  • image-3349585054.jpg
    image-3349585054.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 84
  • image-655877668.jpg
    image-655877668.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 76
Those appear to be nerite snail eggs. Nerites lay eggs in freshwater but they will not hatch.

Ditto what Rivercats said. Both my friend and I have nerites in our tanks and are finding eggs like that all the time :) They're totaly harmless.

Thank you very much guys for that quick answer ,,, that's deffenitly what they are

Woooot. Now I can sleep at night. Lol .

I immediately googled nerite snails and started reading up on them , so what most pet stores call " mystery snails "are most likely nerites As I see they are a wide variety of colors and patterns. From brown to swirl to tire track patterns ,guess that's why they got that name cause nobody really knows wtf they are lol

very interesting how they are mostly fresh water snails yet the eggs will only thrive in a salt or brackish water.
I may try to take some out and set up a small brackish tank to see if I can get them to hatch , just for the heck of it ..

Thanks again

NERITE EGGS ugh I hate my nerites every surface of my tank is COVERED with these things ::rage::

Nerites are distinctly different from Mystery Snails, you should be able to tell them apart

Back
Top Bottom