Strange angelfish fin issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusedfishmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
3 small angels in my tank. One has been attacking another. I separated them and treated with stress coat. Originally there was a hole is the tail of one. A day later, hole completely gone and looked as good as new. 2 days later several sections of tail are missing. I haven't seen the fish fighting and I took the bully-fish out of the tank. But could I just be missing fighting or is it possible fin Rot? Is it normal for a tail to heal so quickly?

How's the water test? Ime fin nipping or any mutilating attacks happen in the cover of darkness, perhaps someone is drifting into some else's territory, how big is the tank? Lots if cover??

Water was a bit of a problem. Ammonia .25. I think nitrate and nitrites were 0. Have to check when I get home. Did a 40% water change. Added stress coat. Lots of cover and the bully can't cross over. But I have the two other angels together. (They're the only fish in the tank). I've never seen any aggression but that doesn't mean it's not happening I suppose.

Could you video tape it at night? Any other ways to explain it?

I have to second the idea that fish nipping often happens when nobody is looking. Since you still have 2 together, it is very likely that those 2 are figuring things out between themselves. With angels, it is not uncommon to see random fin tears now and again. If it was fin rot, you should see an edge and a distinct "melted" appearance one the fin.
So, a few things. First of all, .25 ammonia is in no way an issue. Just so you know. Don't fret about that. It does sound like your tank is not cycled though, since you have ammonia but not nitrates. So, I suggest looking into cycling. Second, the actual healing properties of stress coat are debatable if they even exist. That stuff is first and foremost a water conditioner. Once your bottle is empty, I would suggest something like Prime that is more concentrated and actually a better deal in the long run. Fish have immune systems that will fight off small infections as long as the fish is healthy, and the water is kept clean. I would just focus on keeping your water nice, especially if you have to cycle the tank still. Yes, it is indeed totally normal for a fin tear to heal quickly like you described. It is actually a very good sign for your angel's overall health.
Does your tank have enough space and cover for the two fish together to escape each other if necessary?

Yeah. I have wondered about my cycle too. I did fishless. Ammonia spiked and then dropped. But nitrates never showed up. Either way levels have been very stable until this week. I will post a pic in a minute. I think I'm going to have to get rid of my injured one. I didn't want a pair but it looks like that's what I've landed with. The bully and one other love each other. I had prime but ran out. I'll get some more.

Could be finrot add API aquarium salt with meleafix and pimmafix the raise the temp to 81 degrease and do a 35 percent water change every three days

Back
Top Bottom