Strange Death of an Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Asbestos

Aquarium Advice Activist
1~What type of fish is afflicted? - Peacock Eel
2~What are your tank parameters - Ammonia 0ppm - No2 0ppm -No3 5ppm
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? - 4 months
4~What type of filtration are you using? - Aqueon power filter 30
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? - 4 giant danios, 1 long fined zebra danio, 2 plattys, 2 female bettas, 1 raphael catfish.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? - Did a water change 5 days ago removed about 70% of water
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? - I have had the fish for about 4 months
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? - nothing new
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? - I feed them flake foods and live California blackworms on the occasion.

So my Peacock Eel had what looked like a seizure it was on its twitching and then after 2 minutes it just died. Is that a normal death or can fish even have seizures.

Ok, so to rule out the obvious:

Did the eel die after the water change?
Do you refill water using a python or buckets?
If using a python, did you use dechlor for the tank volume or just what you removed?
Did you use dechlor at all?

Have to ask :) I lost a whole 10g once because of that very reason. They all twitched and died within a few hours. It was horrible.

I did a water change about 5 days ago now, I have been fighting and algae bloom by removing 70%-80% of the water adding it back then adding the dechlor. Because to my knowledge chlorine poisoning in fish takes a long time. But no other fish are showing symptoms.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom