Strange gourami!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoebe5800

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently bought a pair of gouramis! One of them is a much darker colour and has recently gotten a lot larger and it's stomach area is significantly bigger, it's currently resting at the bottom of the tank which it never does! Any idea what's wrong?

That's it from behind!! Can't get round for a front view! ;)

image-2871980960.jpg

It could be swim bladder but I don't know for sure. If it is you may want to not feed it for about three days and feed it a boiled pea on the third day.

Is it a dwarf? I know they have a specific disease that only affects them. I had two both of which died from it. They became bloated as well and listless on the bottom prior to dying unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure it is.. The pet shop called it a "chocolate gourami"! Fingers crossed it isn't that then :/

Yeah sounds like a dwarf, don't want to make you upset, but it's not good that's on the substrate since they are air breathers.

Mine held on only an extra two days after it bloated and went lethargic.

Don't worry, I thought it was going to die the day i got it but he's help up for a month or so :/ anyway I can stop this or is it destined for doom?

If it's DG disease then no, and unfortunately you will probably never be able to keep another DG without it getting it from what I understand. Normal gouramis are unaffected though.

Back
Top Bottom