Strange idea for new tanks.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swampman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi. I am about to set up my new Christmas present. A 20 gal tank. This is not my first tank. I have 5 more. I am a subscriber to TFH mag and read many web sites about our hobby. The web page I read today was about planted tanks. All my tanks are planted as the new one will be also. It was about water changes. • Week 1 – 30% daily (yes every day for the full 7 days)
•Week 2 – 30% every other day
•Week 3 – 30% every three days
• Week 4 – 30% every four days
• Week 5 - 30% every five days
• Week 6 - 30% every six days
• Week 7 - 30% every seven days (from then on 30% once a week) The reasoning is the planted are trying to establish themselves . There is more die off and the die off turns to ammonia. That I do agree. But if you are trying to cycle the tank for fish wouldn't so many water changes interfere with cycling? I use a refrigerated cycle solution as well as sponges and some sub straight from one of my established tanks. I used the rule for water changes leave alone for a month. Check water parameters every day making sure the cycling has started. I should add that I use an eco complete sub straight. What do you think of the daily water changes from this web site? Thanks

Hello Swamp...

I don't see how cycling a tank would take as much work as all you've described. Back in my day, we cycled a tank using a few hardy fish. Here's how it went: Set up the tank and put in some floating plants. Let the tank run for a few days and add some fish. Feed the fish a little every day or two and remove and replace a third of the tank water a couple of times a week for a couple of weeks. Then, you added a few more fish and changed half the water weekly for the life of the tank. That was it.

B

I agree.I can't figure out why so many water changes. Unless someone has stocks in water. I use a seed and old filter material to cycle. Check the water parameters. I also cycled with ammonia but I will never do that again. It was a pain. Thanks

Seems a lot unless heavy fish stocking at start. In which case it might be too low lol.

I’m not sure the water changes would interfere as long as ammonia present. Interesting question. On one hand I guess adding in extra elements / maintaining kh for cycling; on the other it would I guess disturb the process.

Last edited:
I’d be more worried about die off causing algae to be honest. Which is one of the things that happens when people plant a new tank and start dosing straight from the get go with strong lighting and an immature tank.

In my experience fish definitely prefer stability and any wild changes will have a negative affect on their health whether chronic or acute. If you’re responsible enough and have hardy fish you can do large frequent water changes without issues but the risk factors increase and in my opinion this outweighs the actual ‘known’ benefits of changing lots of water.

Generally people who change lots of water do so because:
a) They’ve been told to
b) They feel guilty if they don’t
c) They use lots of artificial fertiliser and/or chemicals
d) To combat algae
e) To ‘replenish nutrients’
f) ‘Fish release hormones which stunt fish growth’
g) Because ‘in nature water is being changed all the time’

The only ones I would argue for is c) and d) because c) can cause d) if you have a new tank which means you need c) to combat d) and you can very easily solve c) and d) by stopping c) all the rest are regurgitations of unproved science or based on information designed to make you feel that you are doing the right thing for fish health which = $$$

Therefore, very few people try the limited to no water change approach which was very common in the 1920s. They don’t get to see how clear the water becomes and how long the fish live, how the shrimp don’t hide all the time and how the snails spend more time in the water than above it and how the plants suddenly come to life and continue to grow and grow.

Its a real shame...

Back
Top Bottom