Strange jumping!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anthonygaliazzo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have lost 2 clowns due to carpet surfing recently and they had never jumped in 6 months. I was just watching tv when my midas blenny just skyrocket right beside me. A 3 foot long jump. I was just wondering was can cause my fish to jump all of a sudden. Is it a matter of coincidence or something could leed them to jump more than before

Normally it is a reflex action to being startled, by something inside or outside their environment .

check you may have stray voltage leaking into tank

VIA: heater / power heads ect

just don't stick your hand in and be the test dummy
use a voltage meter

It's possible to buy a volt meter at a hardware store or borrow one if you can. One lead onto tank water the other to earth ground set meter to lowest AC setting.

I have a Blue Jaw Tile fish that prompted me to cover my openings. I had to help catch him in a partitioned coral tank. He jumped in the three different partitions before we could corner him.

Not to ignore your opinions but i doubt voltage is the case. Indidnt see any change of behaviour with the other fishes neither the corals. I checked all my equipement tu make sure there was no tiped wires or anything broken everything is working good. Injust thoufht it was weird to see 3 jumping in such a short time. Ive seen on the news the survival behaviour or bisons fleeing yellowstone parc recently. I know animals can feel things such as earthquarks and more. I just wonder if something could be linked

There doesn't need to be broken wiring or connections for there to be stray voltage. Millivolt leakage is pretty common, while a large leak is easy to find (it hurts) there is no way to test for very small current leakage without a testing meter.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had a minor electrical leak on a pump that I found by touching ground a the tank water. I could feel electricity flow thru me. Just a tingle, not like when a heater failed now that had a good bite. Now I run a titanium grounding rod and a GFI receptacle.

even brand new equipment can be faulty , the one thing with salt water don't ignore stray voltage it has a way bigger bite .
I'm sure just about everyone here has experienced it its no joke
you can have the same stray voltage in freshwater but the bite isn't as strong but yes it's still there and shouldn't be ignored

Back
Top Bottom