strange red terror color

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pookie71384

Aquarium Advice Activist
my wife picked up a red terror for me but the fish isn't red...its a pale color...like a light gray or off white...I was so disappointed when she came back and it wasn't red with black sripes like I was expecting...is this normal???

its not stressed at all...its moving around a lot and shows no signs of stress...its in a 29 gallon...its only about 3 and a half inches long...I think that's just its color...it also has green florescent markings all over the body...I have a black convict in there also...they get along great...I'm surprised...for now its good in the 29 gallon...when the time comes that I have to get a bigger tank I deff will

it was hard to take a picture but I got a video...here's the link

First it's not a Red Terror it's a Mayan(Cichlasoma urophthalmus) which is commonly sold as that which is completely false and that's why it's called a false red terror, the Cichlasoma festae is the true red terror.

Your fish is a juvie and will never show the coloration(which comes with age)of a true red terror, it's not a ugly fish when it matures but will never look like a female Festae showing deep reds, yellow, or orange.

I've been reading online and every site I went to say thay a true red terror has a y shape that forms from the black lines behind the gill plate...it has the y shape

I've been reading online and every site I went to say thay a true red terror has a y shape that forms from the black lines behind the gill plate...it has the y shape

Look at the eye in the tail fin which is centered not in the upper portion...it's a mayan. I have numerous F1 Festae so trust my opinion.

cool...thanks for the info...a lot of the time petland doesn't know what there talking about...beautiful fish though...its starting to show its color...has green fluorescent markings all over...it can change its color completely...where it has no markings at all what so ever...just looks complety white...pretty cool

Back
Top Bottom