Strange red worms in filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmarcf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

Today I was cleaning out my canister filter and found what appears to be these red worms. I have recently purchased plants (one being attached to drift wood).

Here are pics of the worms Worms - Album on Imgur I found a long one at the bottom of the filter.

Any idea what they are? How to get rid of them? and Are they dangerous to my fish?

Cheers

They look like blood worms. Most likely introduced with the plants. If so, these are harmless. They feed on detritus. A popular fish food as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

+1 definitely bloodworm, my elephant nose loves them and so does most fish ☺

70 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

Thanks for the reply guys but I thought blood worms are small? I found one around 10cm (about 4 inches) long in the bottom of the filter. I'm worried because they look more like Camallanus :(

Thanks for the reply guys but I thought blood worms are small? I found one around 10cm (about 4 inches) long in the bottom of the filter. I'm worried because they look more like Camallanus :(

I have seen large bloodworm you can get them all size's they also have a fork shape end? . But I can't comment on Cammallanus as I haven't experienced it before. Sorry

70 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon boraras , red longfin bristlenose, bamboo shrimp, crs,rcs and different snails.
7 gallon halfmoon betta and red ramshorn.

It could also be a type of mosquito or fly that's gone into your fish tank and they are the larvea

Thanks for all the replies. I have been in hospital getting a knee reconstruction and been to out of it to write a reply. Haven't seen my fish since Tuesday and won't for another week or so unfortunately. ​​​​​​​

Get better jmarcf!

Could also be freshwater bristle worms. I get them all the time in my pond filter. I leave them alone as they eat detritus I just wear gloves when I have to Handel the medium in there as they bite.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom