Strange strings on filter cartridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Benwitz2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I opened my filter (tetra quiet flow 10) and saw that the carbon filter is pretty dirty. I also saw strange string-like things trailing from the cartridge. Is this normal? Should I be cleaning the cartridge more often?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449177076.713924.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1449177089.937662.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hmmmmm... could be most likely algea, dont change the filter cartridge, just see if you can take some of the stuff off with your hand every once in a while. I dont think it would be a problem as long as your water isnt cloudy. I think if it was algea your main concern would be the algea dying and then polluting the water cuz its inside your filter. So keep an eye on it and manually try to keep it under control and see what happens. Not 100% positive about it, so we will see what other people say...... good luck!!

My filters have a metric poop ton of crap on them before i clean them.

I clean them once a month in tank water, i never replace the pads unless they are breaking down. I do remove the Carbon after a month though, by cutting the pad open.

I think you should be fine...

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Thanks guys! I ended up rinsing it in some tank water while I was changing my water, it got most of the crap out. Water has been clearer since then

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom