Strange worm PLEASE HELP !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshworm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I found a few of these worms in my shrimp tank and am desperate to know what they are .. video attached .. Thanks in advance

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0LBfR7-e_AQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It does not look like it has segments, so it's probably not insect larvae. It might be blackworms, possibly. If so, fish eat those and they are harmless. How large are these things ? There are some small species referred to generally as detritus worms, also harmless, fish often eat them too.
Do these worms react to touch ? Like, shrink up short if you touch one ? if they do that, they are probably FW leeches. Again, more than likely harmless, but I'd want to suck them out and get rid of them if they are leeches.
Knowing the general size and maybe the colour might help a bit.

Segmentation and size..

The one in the video is about 3-4cm long, though it may be bigger and is hard to see due to the form it was sticking out. When disturbed, it tends to dart into the hole it was poking out of. what type of leech could be this skinny? I have seen more though, not as big as that one though.. I'm thinking about starting to slowly more things into a new tank and hunt these buggers down- if they're beneficial i can just add them back in. They may have some in with some bog plants (Ceratophyllum demersum) if that helps

Blackworms do stick their head out, with their tails anchored in substrate, if they become established in a tank iow,, if they escape being eaten. If you starve the fish for awhile chances are they'll find and eat most if not all detritus type creatures. A few days or a week should do the trick.

Critter Captured: Thanks for all the info

I have just caught the little guy, he is no in my tank and separated for some quick study. not sure what to do with him though. Here's the link so that he can be identified, added some bethoven to make the watch more enjoyable.

Caught the mystery critter !
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsOSafZyLQM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back
Top Bottom