Stressed Minnow - post power outage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StellaStars

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

I had a power outage this morning. Not sure how long it lasted. I was only awake for about an hour of it, but if the time my clock snapped back to is to be believed, it could have been 4-5 hours.

I have two gold white cloud minnows and four green rasbora in a 5G.

One of the minnows is hanging out at the top of the tank and not moving much. The other fish are all active and normal.

I suppose this could be stress from the outage? Is there anything I can do to help?

Seems like oxygen deficiency to me. Make water movement or add an airstone to oxygenate the water.

I have no idea if it will help but maybe add some surface agitation? Could the water need to be more oxygenated? Otherwise I would agree with a sick fishy.

Is the tank cycled? Even a few hours of stagnation will stress.the inhabitants in a small tank with too many fish. Ammonia builds up,.oxygen depletes.. parameters???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is the tank cycled? Even a few hours of stagnation will stress.the inhabitants in a small tank with too many fish. Ammonia builds up,.oxygen depletes.. parameters???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yup, it's a cycled tank. All the other fish are doing great. Tested ammonia and it was at 0.

Did you only test ammonia or did you test other parameters as well? I know a PH spike can cause some weird behavior.

Did you test Nitrites?
Symptoms of Nitrite spike are:
Fish gasp for breath at the water surface
Fish hang near water outlets
Fish is listless
Tan or brown gills
Rapid gill movement

Just tested, the other params seem normal. I may take a sample to the LFS tomorrow for a second opinion.

The minnow passed away.

But all the other fish are still acting totally normal, so my guess is the water is okay.

Thanks for the advice and help. I'd still like to know what went wrong so I can prevent it from happening again.

Back
Top Bottom