strong substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yilduz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking for something that will let plant roots grow strong. I want them to be anchored well because I want a hammers cobalt blue lobster and they apparently like to rearrange things. If I put a layer of soil down and covered it with gravel, will plants grow well in that and will the crayfish and fish be okay with that? What do you suggest?

That's not a bad idea. Or, instead of a gravel topper, if you wanted something a bit finer you could consider 3M colorquartz. They come in a variety of colors and have a good grain size.

I think the trick is going to be going deep. You're going to need a deep substrate so that you can plant your plants really deep to make them hold better. Once the roots get established they'll do better on their own, but a deep substrate layer will help hold them while that happens, and capping with gravel of some sort should be helpful in your scenario.

I had crayfish in a tank with pool filter sand as the substrate. The tank was also planted, but a bit of warning, they will treat your plants like a salad bar. Our 2 crayfish decimated $100.00 in plants.

When I use sand I also used Flora Base. I would dig out the hole where the plants were going, add the Flora Base then put in the plant. I also use it layered between gravel in other tanks. My plants are loving it. I know the bag says not to use it with other substrates but it also says it lasts about a year then you have to replace it. Why would I remove an entire tank's worth of substrate vs mixing it with the substrate?

I bought a pair of crayfish that ate all of the plants. I then tried silk plants, they destroyed those too. I tried plastic plants and they too were mangled. I also had fish disappear, no bodies, just gone. Crayfish are quite fascinating but terribly destructive. They have gone now so I am just setting up a new tank WITHOUT crayfish lol.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm going to look into those different substrate options you've mentioned and see what I like best. I'm glad it seems that this idea should work out.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom