strontium supplement killing my tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloudxsoldier

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought some seachem strontium supplement from mf LFS today after over a year of my LPS corals not growing/expanding their skeletel base. I thought it couldnt hurt to try. The corals have been rather happy this past few months opening up wonderfully under the new LED lighting I got.

After less than a mintue of putting in the right dose (it says a lvl teaspoon for 40Gal (i have 39 Gal) My mushroom leather shrivlled up/ My mushroom corals starting throwing up bright green residue and now this morning my Clown fish is clearly dieing... I have a small Plate coral whish is normally green all over and now has what seems to be red/brown gashed on it. Its a disaster...

Can anyone tell me why this may have happened? how can this muh damage be done after one small dose..

It will be fine, just do a PWC. Are you testing for strontium? You have to test for whatever you dose for.

I've never had a need to dose or test for strontium.

I wasnt testing for it. I used it becuase my corals wheren't growing. Calcium was fine. Magnesium was fine (I have test kits for both) and everyone tells me the LED lights I have are good aswell. But they just wheren't growing any. So, I thought adding some stromtium couldnt hurt.

I'm still very new to this. I cant do a PWC right now as I only just did one and havnt got any RO water of Salt to make more. and even that takes a couple of days.

thanks for the reply

Try running carbon. In the future remember a 39 gallon tank is not 39 gallons of water you lose a lot of volume when you add sand live rock and coral even fish. Easy mistake to make, Iv'e done it and i'm sure many others have as well Dosing is always a guessing game unless you can test

cloudxsoldier said:
I bought some seachem strontium supplement from mf LFS today after over a year of my LPS corals not growing/expanding their skeletel base. I thought it couldnt hurt to try. The corals have been rather happy this past few months opening up wonderfully under the new LED lighting I got.

After less than a mintue of putting in the right dose (it says a lvl teaspoon for 40Gal (i have 39 Gal) My mushroom leather shrivlled up/ My mushroom corals starting throwing up bright green residue and now this morning my Clown fish is clearly dieing... I have a small Plate coral whish is normally green all over and now has what seems to be red/brown gashed on it. Its a disaster...

Can anyone tell me why this may have happened? how can this muh damage be done after one small dose..

Anything you supplement ( though u should NEVER have to) should be well mixed and done at night.

jsmith said:
Anything you supplement ( though u should NEVER have to) should be well mixed and done at night.

Whats your alk look like? My coral never grew till i stabalized my alk at 12 dkh now they grow like crazy

Most supplements can be done with simple PWC`s. Strontium is definitely one of them.

Back
Top Bottom