Stubborn Betta Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lalalameg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a male betta that I believe has fin rot (as it's fin are becoming ragged and torn looking, with whitish on the ends). I usually keep him in a plain fish bowl (it's actually a giant champagne glass that holds about a gallon of water. Classy.) with salted water. I don't have it heated but the temperature is usually around 75. I clean his bowl once a month (this potentially could be the source of the problem, I know.) He's been in his champagne glass for about two weeks, but developed the rot a month ago after he had been in his old bowl for a month, but I've had him for probably 3-4 months. The water is not filtered.
I just moved him into a hospital tank that's 1.5 gal to begin treating him with Tetra Fungus Guard and heated the water to 78 degrees. I feed him a small pinch of bloodworms once a day at night; when I first got him I tried feeding him the pellets I had from my previous bettas but he absolutely refused to eat them.
The fin rot just doesn't seem to be going away and is getting worse! I'm not sure what else I can do since I'm treating him with medicine and heating the water. He eats all of his food so that shouldn't be polluting the water.
Help! (I've posted a picture, you can't see the fin rot as much because his fins aren't fanned out but if you look closely you can see they're kind of shredded.)

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 121
I had a betta who had fin rot so I went to petco and got this

image-1686827833.jpg

It's betta revive from aquarium solutions i only had to use it once and my betta got better. BUT I treated it at the first sign of fin rot. Clean water helps a lot to

Thanks! I will try that. Usually after I can change his water it gets cloudy after only a day or two...any ideas on that? I use a solution to make the water safe for fish (can't think of the exact name right now) even though it's probably unnecessary.

Yes, clean water quality is usually the best cure for fin rot. I tend to avoid any additives and medication because I've learned with fin rot, they're REALLY unnecessary and can actually do more harm than good. And yes! It is necessary to condition tap water to remove all the chlorine and junk that are harmful to fish. Cloudiness is probably due to the stirred up leftover particles, food and poop during your water change since you don't have a filter. A heater isn't really necessary so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Thanks so much for the advice...maybe I'll give the medication a go for a bit longer and if nothing improves, I do have an aquarium housing 3 platy fry that has a filter and I could move the fry out and the betta in.

Back
Top Bottom