Stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, my Dwarf Gourami died after 2 months. I don't know why. All parameters are ok. Bought 2 new Blue Gourami from Petsmart, one just died! Woaaaa!

DG are notorious for diease. Its a real challange to keep them alive for the first 6 months. After 6 months they have a greater survival rate. If you can try to get one at a lfs, they might have a stronger stock.

You know, I really appreciate your note here because I did read something about the Gourami having disease from Southeast Asia. They are very pretty fish and it's too bad they succumb to disease. I'll try a local fish store tomorrow, I just have to drive further. Thanks for your reply, it is well taken!

Jim

Aw sorry about your fish. :( I've read gouramis can be sensitive little buggers and can die easily, which is partly why I've reconsidered getting one. lol They are pretty fish though! Good luck with the new one! Did you name them -- er, it? :D

Thanks, no I didn't name them. I seem to have good luck with Platys. Those are the ones that had babies. Maybe I'll just avoid the Gourami fish for now until they become more stable.

I've heard lots of stories about dwarf gouramis, apparently DGIV is becoming more and more common.

I can tell you that I have honey gouramis (colisa chuna) and they have been great, I believe they came from petsmart.

Apparently they have a very thin coating of a protective slime substance covering their bodies..correct me if im wrong

Well, I did some research and the major problem is some sort of virus from overseas. I read that people are discouraged to buy them because many will die.

Mine died, too. I had at least been able to offer him a good environment for a couple of months. Really sad.

Like Jeta said, it's most likely DGIV, the virus from SE Asia. BTW, the other Powder Blue is still alive but I don't expect him to live considering the circumstances.

Hmm why do people's DGs always unexpectedly die? Maybe it's because IME gold honey DGs are super hardy...everyone get a honey or gold honey DG for your first gourami! :D Just kidding :)

Back
Top Bottom