Stunted, Algae, Deficiencies - Plant Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Mebbid,

There is nothing "super specific" about my set up. I'm using river sand and the same plants that everybody else is using. The most significant difference is instead of using a commercial soil based substrate (the're basically just baked soil) I'm using plain unprocessed. Rather than injecting CO2, I'm satisfied with using Glutaraldehyde and accepting slower plant growth.

Why I have been more successful this time as compared to some of my previous efforts is that I decided to learn a bit more about the science behind what I was doing. Armed with a bit of knowledge and this is actually quite simple to do.

As I've said before you don't have to be an advocate of this approach to benefit from reading about aquarium planted ecology.

Just trying to help. I'm not trying to challenging anyone's personal preferences.

Geez get over yourself. I have no interest in getting into a debate with you. Was simply trying to help the OP. Plenty of people on this planted section have seen in the past what my tank looks like. Healthy plants. No algae

No interest in getting into a debate? You are the one that started the debate. Hooked on Fish simply stated CO2 will recover during a period of time when the lights are off. How about instead of just saying 'rubbish' or 'nonsense', you post some scientific research that shows it's 'rubbish' or 'nonsense'?

Chapter IV in Diana's book has plenty of information on how bacteria decompose organics in the sediment to elevate the CO2 levels to beyond atmospheric levels. (I had to break in out and read it myself)

BTW, it's not a debate when someone shows you testing performed with results and you say rubbish. That is just being ignorant. "get over yourself"? A person that has a different opinion then yours is no longer allowed to advocate his opinion? again, that's just ignorant.

I do not advocate Diana's methods as I am a T. Barr fanboy, but that doesn't negate the information Diana has tested and proven.

The fact of the matter is the OP has several choices that they can make to get to where they need to be. Adding a carbon source by injection is but one of those choices.

Hi Sk3lly,

That nonsense seems to work for me.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/100168-albums14356-picture68895.jpg

Have you actually read the book?

I'm wondering how you explain the "Bubbles coming up from substrate"?

Nice tank! I think that the OP has two options: decrease lighting or dramatically increase CO2. With the plants that the OP has, I personally wouldn't opt for buying a CO2 system. I'd just decrease lighting and start dosing liquid carbon to the water. I do not anything about the method you are using, so I won't give any input on it.

I think op outskiiii, haha got a little hot in here.. come back! We're just passionate super nerds:) I can help, I'll be nice too. Post some pics, doctors hate Web md...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm very skeptical of this statement. If this were true then people that run pressurized CO2 with a pH controller could run their lights 24/7 without any issues and that's really not the case.

Lol - I just found this funny. I wish I could do that without any issues. The growth would be tremendous. :)

Sigh, as it is I think I need to reduce hours still to 7 or at least cut the centre light back. I should post to ask.

Back
Top Bottom