Stupid mistake,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heck09

Aquarium Advice Freak
So the other day I was so excited to get my new 10g up and going I forgot to declorinate the water, do I need a new piece of filter media and such in the tank now it has been running for five days

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No, Chlorine evaporates within 24 hours so thats not an issue anymore. You will want to read up on cycling your tank either with fish or out. If you do it with fish, use Tetra Safestart and follow the directions to a T. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the help, I don't like the fish in cycle so I'll probably let nature run its course

No, Chlorine evaporates within 24 hours so thats not an issue anymore. You will want to read up on cycling your tank either with fish or out. If you do it with fish, use Tetra Safestart and follow the directions to a T. Welcome to the forum.
Skip the tetra safe start. Its not necessary at all. Also agree about the chlorine, heck the carbon that comes in filter cartridges should have taken care of it by now.
Thank you for the help, I don't like the fish in cycle so I'll probably let nature run its course

Take a look at this link for fishless cycling.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Just did my testing for the night and I have some ammonia in there so hopefully the chlorinated water didn't kill my seeded filter media

I still would add dechlorinator to the water because they now use something called chloramine which I don't believe dissapates like chlorine. That would also get any out of the filter media as well and then continue your cycling. Alison

Thanks Alison, that's what I ended up doing

I never use any water conditioner. I fill the 5 g pails after a wc and let them sit until next wc. I do a wc every week.

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

I never use any water conditioner. I fill the 5 g pails after a wc and let them sit until next wc. I do a wc every week.

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

This works if your water is treated with chlorine. Unfortunately, more and more places treat their water with chloramine, which does not evaporate.

So this advice will work for some places, but not for others.

Also, it's quite possible that the water treatment plant will change to chloramine at any time without warning.

Back
Top Bottom