Stupid question about in sump skimmer waste line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyfromlawrenceville

Aquarium Advice Activist
Gang,
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I have to ask.
I am setting up my first "sump style " tank this weekend, checking all the parts and equipment, and I'm familiar with my current HOB-1 skimmer with collection cup that I pull off and pour down the drain. My new skimmer, Bubble magus curve 5, cup has a drain in the bottom with a foot long waste tube.
Do I run that waste tube into a bottle outside the sump, or use the extra piece of tubing they sent me and cut a 1" length , push into the drain hole in the reservoir, to allow 1" of the green waste water to sit in the collection cup, and then spill out the waste tube once its higher than the 1" cut tube?
I've watched you tube videos, some have the waste drain out of the tank, some have it draining back in the tank, but I see an inch of green liquid in the cup,has me confused.:confused:
thanks,
Joey
BTW: don't look at my signature line, all my tanks are different, that's from 2006, have to change my profile and signature soon :lol:

the skimmer I have in my sump has a drain in the collection cup and I run the tub into a gallon milk jug cap it than throw it away once it's full than put another in its place,
most get nasty over time I just dump a glass of water in collection cup and it stays rather clean as I don't allow the cup to build up

54seawead , thanks.
That's one for the outside collection method. One issue I may have is space, my sump takes up all of the front/back space , and leaves about 3" on one side. Might be able to fit a 20 oz soda bottle, or a custom square collection cup.
Any one else try the 1" overflow tube in collection cup method?
Joey

I use a milk jug or OEM receptacle for my skimmers.
Can't see the logic in building up the skimmate to an inch in the collection cup?
It can have NO impact on performance of the skimmer that I know of?
Just let the crap you are trying to remove get as far away from falling back in tank as possible as fast as possible IMO.
No good can come from the inch IMO???

Ok Guys, seems that I'm gonna have to find a place to drain this to. Maybe find a small hang on container that I can drain into, or a liter soda bottle and drill hole in the the cap.
Thanks!!
Joey

Back
Top Bottom