Stupid question...how do you vacuum with planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Passatryde said:
Am I missing something? Do you just remove all the plants and then put them back afterward?

No, don't remove them! That'd be such a hassle! Vacuum around them as best as you can.

I don't gravel vac where my plants are, I let whatever waste or uneaten food falls there breakdown as the plants can also use ammonia for nutrients.

I just pass the vac over the surface of the substrate in the areas where I don't have plants.

Having dirty substrate actually isn't a bad thing for plants because it generates more nitrogen in the form of ammonia that plants can utilize.

As others have said, I also just vacuum over the top of the gravel and it is fine.

In a non-planted tank, it is very important to keep the substrate clean because the ammonia generation in a non planted tank leads to increased nitrite and eventually nitrate, which will cause fish stress.

However, in a planted tank, plants utilize all 3 of those forms of nitrogen depending on the abundance, so they keep the water clean and safe from those compounds as well as get a boost from them.

Back
Top Bottom