Stupid question lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TmeLrd11

Aquarium Advice Activist
So it's kinda a stupid question but do you need fish before starting to add coral to a reef tank?

You need something to build up beneficial bacteria in a tank and maintain it. Corals will do the job after the tank is cycled. There are many people that will only keep a Few shrimp and maybe one fish in their reef tanks. Just make sure you have the proper levels before adding coral to include

PH
ALK
CALCIUM
MAGNESIUM
STRONTIUM
Ammonia
NITRITE
NITRATE
IODIDE

My tank has been running since January. I had a few fish until a month ago when they all died from tainted chemicals. I changed 75% of the water and changed the filter carbon. I will be adding fish but I am going on vacation for a week and don't want to rely on the person who's watching my house to feed them. I was thinking of adding mushroom coral to the tank before I leave and have the lights set to a timer. Will that work?

If you haven't been feeding the filtration I would still check. One mushroom won't hurt tho

Back
Top Bottom