Substitue for RO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

K9Kyle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I have a 7 gallon betta tank and I bought a pretty cheap, 4 stage RO filter. I'm getting tired off this extensive process and it wastes a ton of water from the pressure build up, I gotta run the water for almost an hour just to get a gallon of water. I'm wondering if there is a inexpensive substitute for an RO filter, thanks

evidently theres something wrong you should get around 6 to 7 gallons in an hour. What is the unit rate for per day.

evidently theres something wrong you should get around 6 to 7 gallons in an hour. What is the unit rate for per day.

You're not going to get 6-7 gallons an hour unless you have a 150gpd system.... Granted, 1 gallon per hour is pretty slow, but the 4-stage drinking water RO system that was in my house when I bought it was rated at 35gpd, so it did take about 45-50 minutes to get a gallon......

What brand is your system, and what is it rated?

You're not going to get 6-7 gallons an hour unless you have a 150gpd system.... Granted, 1 gallon per hour is pretty slow, but the 4-stage drinking water RO system that was in my house when I bought it was rated at 35gpd, so it did take about 45-50 minutes to get a gallon......

What brand is your system, and what is it rated?
ok but he never stated the size so if it is a 150 there's something wrong if it not then there isn't

ok but he never stated the size so if it is a 150 there's something wrong if it not then there isn't

I'm going off the very large assumption that it isn't since the OP stated "pretty cheap"...... 150gpd system typically isn't cheap. If it was purchased used, it may need new filters or may have the incorrect flow restrictor on it, or it may be a cheaper low volume unit designed to supply a drinking water tank.

Gpd=gallons per day, right?

Correct

its a 50 GPD

Then you should be getting just over 2 gallons an hour, but a lot also depends on the input water pressure. Good way to check your system is run your clean water line into a gallon milk jug and time it, and also put your waste line into a 5 gallon bucket.... a typical system in good running order will usually produce 3-4 gallons of waste water per gallon of RO. That can be quite a hit on the water bill..... that's why my system is in the basement in the washroom. Whenever I need to do laundry is when I make RODI water..... run the waste line into the washing machine & set a timer so I don't overflow it (happened ONCE!!!)

A 'close' alternative to RO water is distillation, although you may still have to treat for chlorine, if necessary.

David

Back
Top Bottom