Substrate advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welshy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have had my tank set up for the last few years but due to redecorating and also a large hair algae outbreak I will shortly be stripping down the tank and restarting from scratch ( apart from filter media obviously I will keep the filter running in a tub of old tank water while I move) my question is I currently use pool filter sand as my substrate and use root tabs etc but what would people recommend as an alternative, I am going to use a bottom layer of plant substrate but looking for a lighter top substrate not dark like soil but not White like pool filter sand....any suggestions?? Please advise!!!!

I like flourite, my plants are doing very good with it... but it clouds up the tank every time I replant. It settles pretty quick, but it's still a pain... and yes, I rinsed it VERY thoroughly. That said, mixing substrate like that will probably end up in a mix of whatever you put in. I'd just leave the PFS and root tabs personally. The only reason I changed from PFS was to get a darker substrate.

The Quikrete pfs around here sounds just like what you are describing.

Back
Top Bottom