Substrate and Planting Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishLover14

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For a 40L Cichlid Tank what would everyone consider the ideal substrate for them. I have kept them with, Gravel, Sand, and Crushed Coral but just cant draw a real good opinion. Another thing, In the tank they are in now, I have 4 Yellow BullHead Catfish in with them and the bullHeads turn the color of thier substrate, if it is dark substrate they turn darker, light substarte they turn lighter. So I, Cant really go with crushed Coral that easily due to the fact the bullheads really appreciate the dark substarte a lot better than a white one. Would Sand or Gravel be a better choice?

In The same Tank would live plants or fake plants be a better opinion. We are on well water and the water is VERY, VERY, Hard and has a high p.h. 8.2 coming out of the tap. Do Live Plants grow well in soft-Moderately hard water? Also in the event of a power outage would live plants actually deprive my fish of oxygen. I have read conflicting reports about this stuff. Also in a Moderately Stocked Cichlid Tank that is Planted would the plants, IF given enough Light, supply the fish with oxygen all the time?

Thanks everyone.

P.S. One More Question What are some good Mbuna TankMates for OB Zebras?

TIA

I would go with a black sand as a substrate. Either black from the lfs or blasting sand. If you are concerned about loss of oxygen, just put in an airstone. Are we talking low light plants? Also, most Africans do not fair well with common low light plants. They tend to either eat them or tare up the roots. Which plants do you have in mind?

Java Fern, Anuabuias, Amazon Sword, Stuff Like that?
I have had HUGE headaches about adding sand to an established tank with water in it how do you prevent the sand from going everywhere, clouding water, etc.

Thanks.

I've heard people have had great success with pouring the sand in a pvc pipe to control where the sand goes and they also have minimal clouding.

Basically do a very deep gravel vac. Do NOT add water back into the tank yet. Then start scouping out the gravel. Some people take the fish out, some don't. I always did though. After you have completly removed the gravel and added the sand, refill the tank. Then re-acclimate the fish into the tank. I have had success with doing it this way several times.

Back
Top Bottom