Substrate Choices in low tech tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyMonkey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Looking to start two tech and low maintenance tanks. One is a 7 gallon Mini bow and one will be around a 30 gallon.

I like the idea of a Walstad type Natural Planted Tank. See: http://thegab.org/Articles/WalstadTank.html

However, I have seen so many tanks using simple gravel for their substrate these days. I am curious whether at around 2 wpg I should consider using Eco Complete, the walstad method, or simply gravel?

The gravel sure sounds easiest.

I want to avoid algae issues if I can. Battled hair algae in my Reef Tank for 8 months and that sucked. 8O

If you're planning to do the tank entirely with the Walstad Method (lighting and everything) then I would probably try her substrate method as well. Since you list about 2 WPG, this is unlikely. In that case I'd go with Turface MVP. It's got a high CEC (ability to store and slowly release nutrients) and is very inexpensive. Either of the other choices would work well, but I just happen to prefer the performance and cost savings of Turface.

Turface MVP? I did some reading on that. Used on baseball innfields? Seems this stuff has been used in planted tanks for years. I had not heard of it.

In essence, because I have lower lighting in my tank I should likely use an alternate substrate that the Walstad method. Thanks for the advice.

The office tank can recieve sunlight if I want to go that route I suppose. I will have to consider both options I suppose. Would be nice to avoid frequent water changes on both tanks.

Back
Top Bottom