Substrate for Cories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magicmarymac

Aquarium Advice Freak
Oh dear...

I have been reading that cories need sand??? I am concerned that the substrate in my "new" 36 is bad for my Cories.

:eek:

I got this expensive stuff cause it said it was good for plants. (sigh) It is 50% CaribSea Flora Max and 50% CaribSea Super naturals.

Thank you

I don't think that they need sand. You just have to make sure that your substrate doesn't have sharp edges that would damage their barbels.

I've had gravel with cities for about a year and a half, and they are doing great!!!

Substrate for coreys

I have kept Corey's in my tanks with normal aquarium gravel and never had a problem even though I assume that sand is better for them.:fish1:

I have 4 panda corys in gravel; they are at least 10 years old and doing just fine.

I have 3 albino corys and 2 pepper corys in another tank with gravel and they are doing fine; the pepper corys are about 5 years and the albino 2 are new and 1 is I don't remember how old.

Good luck

I've kept cories in tanks with gravel substrate with no problems but my guys I have now are on sand and seem so happy with it.

They seem to find it very pleasurable and effortless to snork around in it lol...

Honestly, barbel erosion with cories is almost always due to poor water conditions, and not the substrate. You should be fine, as long as you stay on top of water changes (y)

Honestly, barbel erosion with cories is almost always due to poor water conditions, and not the substrate. You should be fine, as long as you stay on top of water changes (y)

+1 to this. Most of the time people who's cories have damaged barbels blame it on substrate while the real cause is poor water condition. Just make sure the substrate isn't sandpaper rough.

The guy at the LFS said that he won't sell me cories unless I prove that I only have sand in my tank by taking a picture.

I told him that I have been assured that ecocomplete would be just fine and he disagreed. I really need to find a new store.

The guy at the LFS said that he won't sell me cories unless I prove that I only have sand in my tank by taking a picture.

I told him that I have been assured that ecocomplete would be just fine and he disagreed. I really need to find a new store.

If I was trying to do business with this guy I'm sure I would've lost my cool and slapped him for being a moron.

My brother has Eco complete in his tank and bought 4 pepper cories. They have had a bunch of babies survive in his tank. He now had 14 Cories. Ignore this man and go get your cories somewhere else.

Bettafanatic said:
If I was trying to do business with this guy I'm sure I would've lost my cool and slapped him for being a moron.

Well, I'm pretty new and am still learning a ton everyday. I didn't feel like I had the energy or the knowledge to argue with the guy. This is the same store that I have purchased almost everything from. At least $800 in the last month.

TOMatt said:
+1
There MUST be more than one LFS in Seattle.

[edit] If it's the only convenient place, try talking to the manager. That seems pretty ridiculous.

He was the owner's son, I believe. The own another store in a neighboring town. I think there is another store in Seattle, but the reviews aren't great and another a little over an hour away.

I'm going to do some more searching for a decent place. Maybe one that's not as well known? Yelp is pretty helpful.

You can try ordering online. Shipping is expensive, but Liveaquaria hasn't failed me yet, and I buy a ton of stuff from there. They're great for plants too.

So…adding sand now would probably not work anyway because it would settle under the other stuff, right or wrong?

Attachments

• image-1871668447.jpg
    image-1871668447.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 66
  • image-3427185471.jpg
    image-3427185471.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1306796514.jpg
    image-1306796514.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
So…adding sand now would probably not work anyway because it would settle under the other stuff, right or wrong?

greetings.

yes, adding sand over gravel is not going to work. i thought i was being smart by pouring sand ontop of my gravel as i intend to get some corydoras specimins soon, but the sand has rather quickly fallen down through the gravel.

sincerely,
nereksnad.

Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation of my suspicions.

Maybe someday ill get another tank and will move what I have out…

(Methinks that way lies madness) ;-)

It'd just cause a huge mess, or fall through the gravel as the other person said. The cories will be perfectly fine with eco-complete. I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for suggesting this, but you could try tricking the guy by bringing in a picture of a tank with sand. It'd work, it's not like he can barge into your house and personally check your fish tank.

nereksnad said:
greetings.

yes, adding sand over gravel is not going to work. i thought i was being smart by pouring sand ontop of my gravel as i intend to get some corydoras specimins soon, but the sand has rather quickly fallen down through the gravel.

sincerely,
nereksnad.

I combined sand and gravel by pushing all of the gravel off to one side and across the back. I then put the sand on the bare bottom in the section I created. The gravel mixed a bit with the sand, but they are separate for the most part. All of my bb were in the gravel, so I didn't want to get rid of it. I think it looks good with the black gravel hill, natural gravel pebbles and then white sand. None are rough and my cories are fine.

Back
Top Bottom