Substrate for planted frog tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello. I was wanting to do a small 10 gallon planted tank for 3 aquatic dwarf frogs. I bought 2 plants.. What kind of substrate do I plant the plants in.

fijiwigi said:
Hello. I was wanting to do a small 10 gallon planted tank for 3 aquatic dwarf frogs. I bought 2 plants.. What kind of substrate do I plant the plants in.

For any plant you can do both fine natural gravel or larger grain sand!

Your frogs may appreciate the sand.

fijiwigi said:
Can it be any sand. Or home depot playsand or aquarium specific sand. ???

I recommend crushed coral sand lol. I like how it looks. PFS is nice too :) cheap as well..

Pool Filter Sand. Pool supply store, hardware store, big box store that carries pool supplies.

I just installed Qwikrete, medium grain, professional grade construction sand. 100lbs for $7.50 but...

You have a small size to fill how about CaribSea Instant Aquarium, simple, no rinsing and extra good bacteria for a better start.

Last edited:
Autumnsky said:
Pool Filter Sand. Pool supply store, hardware store, big box store that carries pool supplies.

I just installed Qwikrete, medium grain, professional grade construction sand. 100lbs for $7.50 but...

You have a small size to fill how about CaribSea Instant Aquarium, simple, no rinsing and extra good bacteria for a better start.

And if you get their Tahitian Moon Sand color they'll look nice on the black sand.

PFS is White only.

Back
Top Bottom