Substrate (gravel) How much to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrDaytona

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This may sound like a question that everyone knows the answer to but:

How much gravel is recommended for each tank?

Is the proper amount determined by the number of inches that covers the bottom of the tank?
For example - two inches of gravel across the entire bottom.

OR

Is a better rule of thumb being X pounds of gravel for every gallon of water in the tank?

I realize that there are variables such as ; What type of filter is being used? - Will you have plants in the tank? - How large is the tank? etc.?

In my case - I'll be using an undergravel and a wet-dry filter, have plants in the tank, with a large piece of driftwood, and assorted fish.
When I asked this question at my LFS the answer was = One pound of gravel for each gallon of water. Is this correct or not?

I may have to have a dump truck deliver 400 lbs of pea gravel, which I will then have to wash, to place in my 400 gallon tank.

I am wondering what are your thoughts in reference to this basic question?

As always thanks for your input - ;)

Mr.D, I believe that your LFS was correct. The standard reccomended gravel is 1 pound per gallon of water. This puts about a 1-2 inch covering of gravel on the bottom of your tank. I am wondering though, if since you will be running an undergravel filter, if you should go with a tad less. I'm not really sure, never had a undergravel filter. So good luck with your tank, hope I helped a little :)

I think you need a bit more for UGF - like 2-3".

Best to buy by volume. Measure your tank "footprint" & multiple by depth of gravel. Eg. for a 4 foot by 2 foot tank & gravel depth of 3 inches, you need 48x24x3 = 3456 cu inches = 15 gal = 2 cubic feet.

If you're getting pea gravel, just go to your garden/landscape supply place. They sell it by the cubic feet.

if you want to have any live plants, you are supposed to have 2" for them to root proplerly. I have fake plants, but I still have the required 2", that's what my lfs told me too. :)

Back
Top Bottom