substrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eyring2210

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking at sand as the substrate for a new tank that I am setting up. I have seen Pool Filter Sand (PFS) being used with success. My question is what about the basic all-purpose sand, that you can find at the hardware store for about $2.50 per 50 pound bag? Play sand is a little too fine I think.

I like pfs better. i've tried play sand and the multi purpose sand and they both clouded my tank for several days no matter what i did. it also packs down and i just dont like it... i bought my pool sand at meijer for $1.99 a bag for 50lb bags... you can get it at leslies pool supply for like $9 a bag. either way, imo, its better. Alot of people use play sand and like it, but i dont and a few others here had the same problem as me

Here's another vote for PFS. I have it in all of my tanks and love the look. Do wash and wash and wash and...you get the idea. Click on my pics in my sig to see what happens when you don't wash enough (I thought I had). A couple water changes later and it clears up but the best advice I can give if using PFS is to clean it until you think it's perfect, then clean it another 30min. :)

Thanks for the input. I have decided to use the PFS since it will take a bit less effort to clean than the cheap AP sand would.

PFS is also manufactured such that it doesn't compact... it is after all intended to be a filter medium. This makes it easier for bottom-feeders (and snails) to dig around in it.

I have play sand in one tank and medium sand, which looks identical to the PFS I've seen, in two tanks. The play sand is a tan and the medium sand is very white, so it depends on what color you're looking for, but I won't go back to the play sand. It took forever to clean and it's harder to vacuum. It also gets kicked up into my filter a lot easier.

A good way to clean the sand prior to putting it in your tank is to put a bunch of it in an old pillow case and run that pillow case under a faucet. When the water going down the drain becomes clear, you'll know that the sand it ready to be put in the tank. I did this for my new setup and had no water clouding whatsoever when I added water to the tank. I used play sand by the way.

A good way to clean the sand prior to putting it in your tank is to put a bunch of it in an old pillow case and run that pillow case under a faucet. When the water going down the drain becomes clear, you'll know that the sand it ready to be put in the tank. I did this for my new setup and had no water clouding whatsoever when I added water to the tank. I used play sand by the way.

That is an Awesome idea! I was wondering how I was gonna rinse the sand because it's too cold outside to run the hose into a bucket. THANKS!!!!

If you use play sand, you'll have to stir it around every once in a while since it can develop toxic air pockets in it.

Got it. I'm trying to decide if I want to deal with snails or just stir it up every so often. How often does it need to be stirred up?

Well mts would be good at stirring it up. If you wanted to do it manually, probably 1-2 times per week. The problem with doing it manually, would be that it would be hard to get under any decor you may have in the tank.

That is an Awesome idea! I was wondering how I was gonna rinse the sand because it's too cold outside to run the hose into a bucket. THANKS!!!!

No problem, I think I read that idea from someone else on the site so it is a good idea to look around in all of the forums for tips and tricks! Just put the sand in the pillow case and let the water run directly onto the sand. Basically put the faucet into the pillow case and make sure you stir the sand around in the case with your hand.

As for stirring the sand around in the tank, make it your objective to bring the sand from the bottom of the substrate to the top. This will effectively release those toxic air pockets.

Well, since I plan to have some substantial decor and a fair amount of plants I think I'll be going with MTS. Maybe add a loach to provide population control? I like the Clowns but they like to be in groups and that would be too much for a 72 G tank. Would the Black Kuhlii Loach or Gold Dojo Loach work as a population control? I know that the MTS will populate like crazy because my kids help with feeding time, so there is usually plenty of food available.

Really, mts kind of controls their self. Once they become crowded they usually stop breeding for a while until their numbers are low enough, at least from what I've read. Loaches might eat too many snails, making them uneffective. Maybe look for some other population control methods.

MTS are the way to go in planted tanks with PFS. I never have to stir up the substrate, they don't go nuts unless you overfeed heavily, and they help to bring nutrients from the water to the rootzone to help prevent stagnant growth (along with a little nitrogen as well).

They are easy enough to remove large amounts if they do get out of control as they come out at night so some food such as lettuce can be dropped in, and removed a couple hours later with tons of them.

I've been depleting my numbers in my main tank as I feed them crushed to my dwarf puffer. The problem is I have so many guppy and platy that very little if any food is left around (the cory takes care of the rest). So I've been losing numbers and am getting worried about running out of a food supply. I've actually been trying to feed the SNAILS at lights out! How funny is that...

My pond snail tank at work crashed after I did a water change (work water sometimes seems to be bad even with dechlor) so I'm really stretching out the meals and cutting down on overall feedings. She is NOT happy about that. :)

Actually, with pfs you don't even need mts since it doesn't compact together. However they don't hurt, and are always a great addition.

Actually, with pfs you don't even need mts since it doesn't compact together. However they don't hurt, and are always a great addition.

I disagree. I have seen pockets of hydrogen sulfide gas form in both my puffer tank (when I had PFS in it) and in a new tank I setup for a friend at work. In both cases there were no MTS present. I removed the substrate in my puffer tank for ease of cleaning and introduced MTS in my friend's tank.

Maybe a super thin layer won't have issues but if you have plants and have >1" of sand it can still be an issue even with PFS.

I guess it's cause I have cichlids and they dig around all the time. That is what I've read tho (about pfs not clumping). Maybe it depends on the manufacturer, idk lol.

It won't compact the way play sand will, but it will still trap air/water and stagnate. When that happens the anaerobic bacteria get to work making some nasty things.

But yeah cichlids are like mini bulldozers, you don't need any extra agitation of the sand!

Back
Top Bottom