Substrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm planning on starting my first live plant tank this week. My question is which is the better bang for buck, Eco Complete or Flora Max? The flora max is $16.99 and the eco $23.99. Planning on low light plants to start with and then maybe medium light plants if everything goes nicely. Thank you.

Michael

Edit: I will not be running Co2, and I understand that eco doesn't habe to be rinsed while flora does.
Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm planning on starting my first live plant tank this week. My question is which is the better bang for buck, Eco Complete or Flora Max? The flora max is $16.99 and the eco $23.99. Planning on low light plants to start with and then maybe medium light plants if everything goes nicely. Thank you.

Michael

Edit: I will not be running Co2, and I understand that eco doesn't habe to be rinsed while flora does.
If you do not rinse eco complete, you are going to have a very very clouded tank for a while... DEFINITELY RINSE IT before adding to you tank!! You can either use a pillowcase and run water through it or use a bucket (I used a bucket).

If you do not rinse eco complete, you are going to have a very very clouded tank for a while... DEFINITELY RINSE IT before adding to you tank!! You can either use a pillowcase and run water through it or use a bucket (I used a bucket).

Ok thanks, i was told that eco did not have to be rinsed. Is there any difference in the benefit both five plants? Looking into having java fern and anubias to start with.

Ok thanks, i was told that eco did not have to be rinsed. Is there any difference in the benefit both five plants? Looking into having java fern and anubias to start with.

They both need to be rinsed, definitely. Eco complete works good, but I'd wait for others to reply with experiences from heavily planted tanks

To rinse or not to rinse that is the question lol. The tank i have has been running for 3 years now. To avoid a full cycle when i change the substrate should i fill the filter bags with my current substrate, and place them on top of new substrate?

To rinse or not to rinse that is the question lol. The tank i have has been running for 3 years now. To avoid a full cycle when i change the substrate should i fill the filter bags with my current substrate, and place them on top of new substrate?

Nah, most of your BB is in the filter, not the substrate. Just be careful with your fish. Are you removing your fish or leaving them in while you switch it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Im giving my 2 fish in there away Monday and starting fresh. This stock list but dont know about the platys.

Attachments

• 1413693168443.jpg
    1413693168443.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 65
I'd definitely go with the EcoComplete -- the extra money is worth it for the time you'll save not needing to rinse. I've never rinsed EcoComplete and I've never had a problem with it clouding water.

Sent from my iPad using science

I use EcoComplete in two planted tanks and the plants are doing great. I like the color (black) and it's easy to plant your plants in. I did not rinse either tank upon addition of the substrate. It was cloudy for about a day. Interestingly, I did not the clarifier packs with the bags of EcoComplete.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do not rinse eco! It contains live bacteria to help with converting fish waste into plant food. I used 110 lbs in my 75 gal and it took about 4 days tor the cloudiness to subside. It shouldn't matter anyways because you will need to cycle your tank and that will be plenty of time for it to be lookin mighty fine.

drink more beer

My tank has been running for 3 years. Already cycled and im not changing out the filter right away

Still just the same. Don't rinse. You can add substrate with a tube and funnel without making a mess in an already cycled tank, great video on YouTube.

drink more beer

FloraMax has to be rinsed! I have it in my 35gallon hex and it took a week to clear up even after rinsing. I have never had EcoComplete, but I have 100 lbs. on order for a 55 gallon that I want to rescape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom