Substrate Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liquid_Pyro

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am just looking for places to find cheaper aquarium gravel and or sand...

The only bags I can really find from Petsmart or Big Al's are about $25 Canadian for a 25lb bag of sand or gravel

The ideal substrate I would prefer would be that moonsand, I do not plan on having a planted tank.

I hear that the black gravel fades quickly is that true, or dependant on the brand?

If all else fails I will just end up going with the childrens play sand for my 55gal, but I just thought I would ask.

Ps. I am from Canada, so unless it is an outrageous deal o buy online I dont really prefer it.

I really don't know of a good source for tahitian moon sand that would be cost effective to Canada. The black gravel does fade, it will go to a dark gray rather quickly (months). If you opt for sand, I strongly recommend pool filter sand. It's easier to clean, cheaper, and has a great look. Check out pool supply stores in your area.

oh yes, I know the pool sand will be great I have no doubt, I was just hoping someone might know of some cheaper black sand as I would prefer that, if not play sand it is!!

I don't know if 3M quartz is available in Canada it comes in black.

I would suggest pool sand over play sand. Play sand is so fine that it will get into everything, including your filter making it either wear out faster or more difficult to maintain.

Pool filter sand, on the other hand, is relatively course. It's sort of like tiny gravel so it goesn't get trapped in crevises in your filter.

Around here, I can get a 50# bag of pool filter sand for about $10 at a pool or spa supply store.

maybe look for turface? its $20 a bag here. you wont find anything cheap unless you go outside normal sources.

Back
Top Bottom