Substrate questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flaxon-Waxon

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm upgrading to a 75 gallon from my 55, and need to add some more sand. I currently have 60 lbs of CaribSea live Fiji Pink, and figure anther 60 lbs should be perfect for what I'm doing. In researching, I've seen a lot of different sands and think I have made a decision but needed a few things cleared up. My sand now is .05-.1mm size, and I'm looking at the CaribSea Aragonite Oolite sugar sized sand. Ok here's the questions:

Anybody use the sugar size sand and how do you like it? Pros and cons...?

Is this finer than what I have?

What's aragonite actually mean, and what does Oolite mean? Are these different types of sand? Any info to clear this up is great!

When I put new sand in, should I put the new sand in first and the old sand on top, or vice versa?

If I rinse the old sand in the transfer will that kill all the BB in it, or does most of the BB stay in the rocks?

With 60 lbs additional, totaling 120 lbs in a 75, how deep will my sandbed be? I'm aiming for 2.5-3"...

Thanks everyone, always helpful! :cool:

Benamayer said:
I'm upgrading to a 75 gallon from my 55, and need to add some more sand. I currently have 60 lbs of CaribSea live Fiji Pink, and figure anther 60 lbs should be perfect for what I'm doing. In researching, I've seen a lot of different sands and think I have made a decision but needed a few things cleared up. My sand now is .05-.1mm size, and I'm looking at the CaribSea Aragonite Oolite sugar sized sand. Ok here's the questions:

Anybody use the sugar size sand and how do you like it? Pros and cons...?

Is this finer than what I have?

What's aragonite actually mean, and what does Oolite mean? Are these different types of sand? Any info to clear this up is great!

When I put new sand in, should I put the new sand in first and the old sand on top, or vice versa?

If I rinse the old sand in the transfer will that kill all the BB in it, or does most of the BB stay in the rocks?

With 60 lbs additional, totaling 120 lbs in a 75, how deep will my sandbed be? I'm aiming for 2.5-3"...

Thanks everyone, always helpful! :cool:

Aragonite is actually calcium carbonate. It's good because it helps keep the pH stable. I'm using it now in my new tank. I like it so far. I had a DEEP sandbed before but this time I'm only going with 2 inches, more live rock, and a sump. It's just easier to clean and I've found my tank is more stable with bare bottom or less sand using more live rock than a deep bed. I've had no nitrate or phosphate issues since.

I wouldn't use the old sand. I would use all new and just seed the new with a cup of your old. It's nice and clean. If you use live sand, there is always some die off in the bag so you will chance having an ammonia spike or mini cycle. Are you cycling this tank or just trying to move everything you have now over?

I'm just trying to move everything over. How much BB is actually in the sand if any at all? I just don't want an ammonia spike if I use all new sand or rinse the old sand (which I could be completely wrong about happening anyways)... I guess I could just get all dry sand, I'm getting 60 lbs for like $35 through an LFS that always hooks me up, I guess I could just make it an even 120 lbs of new...

Am I increasing or decreasing chances of an ammonia spike by using new sand? I guess I'll ask it that way lol...

Benamayer said:
Am I increasing or decreasing chances of an ammonia spike by using new sand? I guess I'll ask it that way lol...

If its "live sand" you are increasing your chances because there is die off in those bags. Honestly, you don't need the live sand. Buy the dry sand, same bag and rinse it well before you put it in. I had ZERO ammonia spike with my tank move! I expected a small one but I took my old filtration and am using it for a few days more.

Benamayer said:

Oh ya, and generally the term "oolite" is used for limestone. It's calcite and aragonite. :)

Benamayer said:

You want me to post a pic of what I used so you know?

Yea it's gonna be all dry sand... I'll just get all new, as time goes on I don't like the Fiji Pink too much and wish I went with a finer sand... This is what I'm getting.. CaribSea Aragonite Oolite sugar sized. Any thoughts Nikki??

Benamayer said:
Yea it's gonna be all dry sand... I'll just get all new, as time goes on I don't like the Fiji Pink too much and wish I went with a finer sand... This is what I'm getting.. CaribSea Aragonite Oolite sugar sized. Any thoughts Nikki??

I mixed two....

image-2538420393.jpg

image-275129750.jpg

If you don't want super fine then the sugar size isn't what you want. It's VERY fine! That's why I mixed the two.

image-923083408.jpg

On the right or depending how this posts is the sugar fine. While it looks normal when its wet it feels like mush. To the left (or bottom...again not sure how it will post to you) is the other. I mixed the larger sized 2:1 ratio.

nikki_kaiser said:
I mixed two....

If you don't want super fine then the sugar size isn't what you want. It's VERY fine! That's why I mixed the two.

On the right or depending how this posts is the sugar fine. While it looks normal when its wet it feels like mush. To the left (or bottom...again not sure how it will post to you) is the other. I mixed the larger sized 2:1 ratio.

Ok...it posted all wrong! The larger portion is the sugar fine sand dang it! LOL! FAIL!

Is there anything that would prevent me from wanting a sugar size??

I will tell you that the bigger granules are what I feel at the beach when wet (I live near the beach) and the smaller is much finer. Get a handful and get it wet. You will see the difference!

Benamayer said:

No. The sugar size will actually keep from trapping more detritus however I mixed the heavier in (1 bag to every 2 sugar) because I'm about to purchase an Echotech Vortech MP40 and SOMETIMES the sugar is more apt to move around with stronger current. Sugar is good for a reef tank and I've used it before.

Benamayer said:

Just not in a reef tank (my first real reef tank as I've only kept anemone)

Benamayer said:
MP40?? Lol whatdidya win the lottery or somethin?? Lol

Haha! NO!! I've been planning this tank and saving for over 8 months! I found this guy here down in the hood that loves the hobby and has no overhead so he sells stuff really cheap! I got two new kessil lights with the gooseneck mounts (think they retail for $35 each) for $400. I gave him a list of stuff I was wanting and he beat Internet prices by at least 25% plus on brand new in package. So I have enough money left overto get the MP40. Was going to go with the MP10 BUT, I will eventually upgrade my tank size so rather than spend more later and have to upgrade I'm going with the bigger now and I can adjust flow etc. :)

Good deal! So we will see how my new 75 does... Still debating on this substrate. I think I'll like the sugar sized stuff...!

Benamayer said:
Good deal! So we will see how my new 75 does... Still debating on this substrate. I think I'll like the sugar sized stuff...!

I think you should go with the sugar sized substrate. If you find that it blows too much or you are unhappy with it you can always put a thin larger granular sized sand on top. You will know fairly quickly if you do or do not care for it so it wouldn't have enough time to become live sand. I will tell you this though, wash it in a bucket outside with a hose first because it puts off a lot of dust! I then drained it and rinsed it twice with RO/DI water and added a little bit of amquel just to make sure there was no chlorine. I initially tried using all RO/DI but it took so much to rinse it to nearly clear.

Back
Top Bottom