Substrate Suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhino

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am in the process of setting up a new tank currently and I am looking for substrate suggestions. This is my first dive back into planted tanks in quite some time.

I am setting up a low tech 40 breeder. I have always used Black Diamond blasting media from Tractor Supply in the past with good results, but I wanted to see what everyone is recommending these days.

I am looking for some type of black substrate, I prefer the contrast it creates with the plants and fish. Thanks in advance!

I am in the process of setting up a new tank currently and I am looking for substrate suggestions. This is my first dive back into planted tanks in quite some time.

I am setting up a low tech 40 breeder. I have always used Black Diamond blasting media from Tractor Supply in the past with good results, but I wanted to see what everyone is recommending these days.

I am looking for some type of black substrate, I prefer the contrast it creates with the plants and fish. Thanks in advance!

Soil capped with blasting sand :)

Or ADA make nice substrates.

What type of soil do you recommend? I have some Fluval tabs I can use, had great luck with them in the past.

Sand with tabs might work. Tropica growth substrate + tropica soil has good reviews. ADA as mentioned is another tried and tested soil. Topsoil and compost mixes are superior in my opinion but it can get a bit messy.

It's better to keep nutrients at the roots though definitely as well as the water column.

Although plants can take in nutrients through their leaves, many aquatic plants are only seasonally submerged and so leaves are only good for nutrient uptake during these times outside of the aquarium but the roots work all year round. It's logical to use a nutritious substrate and gives more margin for error.

Soils to use would be garden soil (if you know it's not contaminated) top soils (organic if possible) aquatic composts etc.

What type of soil do you recommend? I have some Fluval tabs I can use, had great luck with them in the past.

Most top non fertilised top soils are fine to use. I'd do abit of research on it first tho. I think the most common is miracle grow organic.

However a lot of scapers use Ada Aqua soil with a top layer of Ada powder

Back
Top Bottom