Substrate, what kind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reel1090

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Going to setup a 20 gal. I have always used gravel but what do you guys think is the best.

I've used all and personally like sand, all the crap stays on the top. Its easy to clean.

Pool filter sand!

Cheap, easy to find and coarse enough not to cloud up the water during gravel vacs!

It can all depend on what your planning on keeping when it comes to sand. Play sand and Pool Filter Sand are a neutral sand that won't mess with the water levels. Black Beauty, Tahitian Moon Sand, and Crushed Coral will raise the Ph.
If you keep Cichlids, sometimes a higher Ph is best but don't use Black Beauty. It contains elements of Iron Slag which can be sharp and not recommended for diggers.
Here is an article that explains a bit more on different types of sand

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/introduction-adding-decor-aquarium/

Hope this gets you started in the right direction, and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :)

Thanks for all the resopnses.

How well do plants do in sand. I used to have a co2 injected tank and the plants did very will, but I used gravel.

It's mostly a matter of personal preference. Some fish do prefer/need sand over gravel or certain types of sand/substrate. Some plants needs certain set ups as well so a lot of it comes down to your tank and what you want from it.

Ease of care is more personal and depends on you. Some swear by sand, that is very easy to care for because everything sits nicely on top. While others find it too difficult because they can't get the technique down to vac up debris off the top of the sand without removing sand or stirring it up too much.

Sand can be a major pain to prep for your tank, lots of rinsing and then settling time but most feel it's more than worth it to have that look

Thanks for all the resopnses.

How well do plants do in sand. I used to have a co2 injected tank and the plants did very will, but I used gravel.

they do fine. I think, though not 100% that when it comes to sand and plants you want a smaller thickness with your sand. I think when it's too thick it can compact too much and make it hard for plant roots though again, I'm not certain. Hopefully someone with sand in a planted tank can back this up but I believe I've read this while researching planting my tank.

Sand is okay for a planted tank but take into consideration it is an inert substrate. You will need to use root tabs and ferts for the water column (unless your going low light/low tech). If you want a fertile substrate the way I went was organic soil capped with Eco-complete in my case but sand as a cap is just fine. Plants grow very well in an enriched substrate.

Black Diamond blasting sand is inert and won't effect pH. It's also coal slag and magnetic so be careful with your magnetic glass scrubbers. The accusations of it causing issues for diggers and/or barbel damage is a disproven myth, it is perfectly safe. Personally, I love the stuff and so do my fish (which include Cories, BGK, Pleco).

Play sand is very fine and can be messy.

All substrates will require root tabs at some point if you plan on growing root feeders (Swords, Crypts, etc).

If you have the funds EcoComplete is the way to go. No rinsing, easy to work with, mixes nicely with sand so you can bring the cost down a bit but keep the mixture above 50/50 (in favor of EC) to keep the benefits of the high CEC.

Rivercats said:
Sand is okay for a planted tank but take into consideration it is an inert substrate. You will need to use root tabs and ferts for the water column (unless your going low light/low tech). If you want a fertile substrate the way I went was organic soil capped with Eco-complete in my case but sand as a cap is just fine. Plants grow very well in an enriched substrate.

I agree. If you don't want to fiddle with dirt at least get a high cec substrate material for the plants, they really benefit from it.

I choose a white silca sand from Lowes, cost me around 6 dollars for an 80lb bag, and it looks great!

Thanks for all the replies,

I would like to try EcoComplete. Do most local shops sell it or do I have to get it mail order?

Just like everything else, your stores may carry it, they may may not, you will have to check. If they don't carry it they should be able to order it for you. Ask them, it will save you shipping cost but you might pay a bit more than online but it's not a bad thing to pay slightly more to support your local economy. Don't let them talk you into Fluval Stratum substrate, which they will carry if they sell Fluval products, that stuff is a nightmare.

blert said:
it's not a bad thing to pay slightly more to support your local economy.

100% Agreed.

Might as well pay a bit more for the product and save on shipping costs. More than likely, the LFS would get the product sooner than it would be shipped to your house, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom