Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goldenboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read the sticky on substrate for planted tanks (which is great) but I still have a question. I have a 65 gal aquarium, Biowheel 400, Rena XP2 canister filter tank with two 96W PC lights (was once my SW reef tank, but I'm now starting a FW planted tank). I'm wanting the more natural approach (and more cost effective) and have done a little research on the potting soil method by Diana Walstad. I thought it seemed pretty self explanatory and simple (haven't read her book). The sticky seems to indicate that it is only for the advanced and highly experienced, and that there is a delicate balance and precise setup. What am I missing? Can anyone suggest another approach without resorting to the costly Eco Complete or other pet store brand substrates? Thx-goldenboy.

The soil method is very good, but it has some drawbacks to it as well. I agree, that only someone whos been dealing with the ins and outs of planted tanks for a while should dig in. If, however, you are interested, my local club has some good information on it that I could pass your way.

For my tank, I used Soilmaster select. It's inert, which requires more heavy dosing, but it's controllable, and it's cheap. Turface MVP is another route, same stuff. HD or Lowe's sells Schultz's Aquatic Soil, which I've also had very good success with. All of these are cheap options.

You can also just go with pool filter sand. Again, dirt cheap. Just depends on what look you're trying to achieve.

with the layering if your planting and replanting your tank a lot can easy mix it up. you want the stuff on the bottom to stay on the bottom bring it up will drag ferts into the water.

as for sms its no longer being made so a little harder to find. sand is inert or stuff like colorquartz sms is not. its actually a great cheap substrate to use. i have seen the boost from reg gravel vs sms.

Thank you both for the help. I suppose if I go with the Aquatic Soil as a base and a top layer of filter sand or gravel, then that would work. I don't intend on moving plants around or replanting once I have my tank up and running (famous last words), but with the sand/gravel top layer, that should help keep the bottom layer on the bottom, while providing a good root bed. IYO, is my lighting to high (2 - 96W PC square pin config. in a 65 Gal tank)? I plan to use one 6700K and one 10,000K? BTW, neilanh, any information you could pass along would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
Neilan,

Thanks for the great advice and link! Mineralized soil is the way I want to go. I was trying to avoid CO2 dosing, but I think it's inevitable. I'll probably try a DIY method before investing in a serious set up. How did your DIY on your 125 work out? Makes me wish I lived in NOVA (used to live in Charlottesville before moving to FL) so I could be a part of the GWAPA! As a side note, I recently looked at your 125G set up and posts....awesome tank.

The step by step in your link is great, just what I needed. Thanks again!
-Goldenboy

IYO, is my lighting to high (2 - 96W PC square pin config. in a 65 Gal tank)? I plan to use one 6700K and one 10,000K?

Anything above 2WPG is going to be getting to the point where CO2 may be necessary, and once you get to 3WPG or higher then you are into high light and CO2 is almost guarenteed to be a necessity. You're lighting is just shy of 3WPG so I'd definately go with CO2 and you should be able to grow all but the most demanding of plants. Make sure that you also have your fertilizers ready to go as your plants will be burning through those nutrients.

I tried DIY CO2 on a 20g for a month or two, and was not what I would consider successful with it. Pressurized is the way to go. Costly up front, yes, but you can't beat the benefits.

Thanks for the compliments!

I've never personally done the soil method, but Ingg, who is on this site and is a member of GWAPA, is doing it in his 180g tank that's been up and running for quite a while now. If you have any specific questions, get in touch with him and he is extremely helpful. Tell him I sent you if he asks :)

I was able to maintain over 20ppm CO2 in my 29G tank with a DIY system, but it was an awful lot of work... and with the constant mixture changes, I am sure the price adds up. DIY CO2 is possible, but you have to love the set it and forget capability of a pressurized system.

For my tank, I used Soilmaster select. It's inert, which requires more heavy dosing, but it's controllable, and it's cheap. Turface MVP is another route, same stuff. HD or Lowe's sells Schultz's Aquatic Soil, which I've also had very good success with. All of these are cheap options.

as for sms its no longer being made so a little harder to find. sand is inert or stuff like colorquartz sms is not. its actually a great cheap substrate to use. i have seen the boost from reg gravel vs sms.
think i got this one wrong sorry about it.

Nope, I think you're right. SMS is no longer available. When it first got discontinued I went to a local place and bought up 400 pounds of the stuff. It's since been distrubuted through my local club, though. It's been replaced with a new product called Turface, which is essentially the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom