Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LdIZzY

Aquarium Advice Activist
If I put substrate in with water in my tank, will it mess up my filter?

Define "substrate"

As in, what kind? Some will sink right to the bottom, some will make your tank into a sandstorm that will wreck some filters.

Are you doing a complete substrate change-out? For example, swapping gravel for sand? Or do you have a bare bones bottom of tank right now.

If you do use sand, please be sure to rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse again before placing into your tank. That's the only way to avoid the sand messing with your filter components.

I have bare bottom and I'm putting fluorite red....

Ok, so take buckets and rinse, rinse, rinse, etc.

Remove fish to a bucket. Remove 50% of water in tank.

Turn filter off!

Take plastic dinner plate (never seen soap) and lay it kitty corner against the side of the tank, one edge near bottom, one edge near top of tank.

Let the sand slide down the plate and onto the bottom of tank. You can arrange with your hands after it's in there. This helps keep the cloudiness and possible filter problems down.

I just poured the gravel on the opposite side of where the intake is and spread it slowly throughout my tank w/ filter on. So far it seemed to work fine. Thanks tho!!!

Back
Top Bottom