Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll try to be of some assistance. There are a number of different options you can do, laterite (a certain type of mud with micro and macro nutrients.) Lots of different fertilizers you can mix in with your gravel so the plants will get micro and macro nutrients. As for me I have a small planted with just gravel and no fertilizer yet but I'm looking at some stuff called fluorite from petsmart.

I use pure eco-complete it has everything you need in it and it also has fluorite but it can be pricey I got mine for about 20$ a bag and needed six for my 75 gallon planted but it's well worth it dirt was just to messy even when it was capped with sand/gravel if you like to move plants around I wouldn't recommend dirt but it so much cheaper I just like eco-complete for its looks and porous like pebbles to help keep in ferts when adding IMO I would go with eco-complete it's been the best investment for my planted tank

That's a very political question LOL. Many "religions" when it comes to substrates. But I agree with Nikko and for the same reasons. OS.

That's a very political question LOL. Many "religions" when it comes to substrates. But I agree with Nikko and for the same reasons. OS.

Haha... well said, OS! Eco Compete or Floramax would be great for the effectiveness and value ratio. But "best" is a subjective term. But in my new religion (and IMO), having tried a couple, I'd have to say aquasoil has been the best in terms of yielding excellent results -- certainly not the best on my pocketbook, however.

I'm going to mix some laterite in with my gravel because I can't find root tabs.

actually I'm going to keep looking for root tabs so my tank doesn't get messy

I have bought straight fluorite in the past and it's a dirty mess I don't care how many times you wash it it leaves dust clouds in your tank until it settles on the bottom and your fish stir it back up

You can buy the tabs online. They sell them at petco/petsmart the best thing I have used is flourish excel by seachem it's a liquid c02 and you will see a difference in a week or less

Thank you all I really appreciate the advice. I actually have dirt as the substrate but I don't like that it leeches when I move plants. I think I will go with Eco complete. How many bags for a 20 long?

can I just forgo the substrate except for just regular gravel and use only liquids? I have got some ferns anubias and some hairgrass. I just can't find them root tabs at my LFS.

I mean if one of my plants is mainly a root feeder I wanna get the root tabs though. I just chose hardy low light plants I guess I should've researched a bit more first but maybe some of you in the information super highway can help.

can I just forgo the substrate except for just regular gravel and use only liquids? I have got some ferns anubias and some hairgrass. I just can't find them root tabs at my LFS.

Type in substrate calculator in search and I think it's on planted tanks website you type in your tanks dimensions and it will tell you how many pounds

Back
Top Bottom