Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some fish will lessen their color to blend in to the lighter sand. I have always seen better color with a tannish darker color substrate.
I have read that also which makes me want black on black with Large white rock "mountain" in the center.which will make the blue and yellow and orange pop! but theres some dark colored with black that i think may blend in. I dont know, trial and error i guess. I need to put crushed coral which is white so whiter substrate would work well but i dont think i want that lol.

That's right trial and error is the game in fish keeping lol. I really like the black on black with white. I'm doing my tank black on dark brown and gray rocks. Hope the fish look good. Will post pics tomorrow.

Black with blue background
In my experience it depends on what colors you want to bring out.
The 29 has Cleithracara maronii in it and it's not the best combo for them. It dulls the black markings and increases the tan or greenish and causes the 2 to blend and not stand out. Now when I had meeki in this color combo the reds and iredesant blue was incredible because the dull color of the fish darkened causing the reds and light blue to almost glow. How ever I do notice a difference on the lighting also. The 33L had fluval's ECO LED on it and the 29 has an old T8. Hope this helps a little. Sory the pics are bad Cheap cell phone.

I would be trying to bring out yellow, orange, and blue, also some dark stripes of black on a blue fish. I believe lighting plays a large role also. i would use the 6500K florescence i think, or maybe try an led hood.

This is black on black, well looks more like that moon dust sand but it's jbl sansibar black. It really brings out the green of the plants, and that's all under two 6700k 54w t5HOs ?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415564583.836208.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using my fat fingers covered in chocolate...

This is black on black, well looks more like that moon dust sand but it's jbl sansibar black. It really brings out the green of the plants, and that's all under two 6700k 54w t5HOs ?View attachment 255319

Nice tank! Ive decided on crushed coral substrate with texas holey rock on a black background. The lighting is what im working on now, yours seems to show the oranges well. Not sure if i want LED or tube bulbs.

Thanks ? if your getting leds iv learnt that cheap generally means rubbish, you do get a pretty cool amount of rippling on the floor around the tank that's nice. I'm sure there's somthing that fluorescents are much better at then leds too. Not sure what though, higher power at the bottom of the tank or somthing ?

Thanks ? if your getting leds iv learnt that cheap generally means rubbish, you do get a pretty cool amount of rippling on the floor around the tank that's nice. I'm sure there's somthing that fluorescents are much better at then leds too. Not sure what though, higher power at the bottom of the tank or somthing ?

Yes, trying to figure out what all of this lighting and LED lingo measn and all fo the numbers. Still unsure on how ide power them. or if i just buy one of the bars that goes across the top. So many choices!

Back
Top Bottom