Substrates Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xEzio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, I'm planning to start a Planted Tank in a few weeks, but I would like to know what substrate would be more beneficial to the plants and my aquarium. If its sand, what type and brand would be best? What else do I need to fully support the Low Light Plants?

Thank you!

As long as you are sticking with low light plants really any substrate will work. If you get swords or crypts you will need to fertilize with root tabs. But if you are looking for a specifically for plants those would be Eco-Complete and Flourite.

Sand works fine, especially if you use root tabs. In low/medium light, your substrate choice isn't going to make that much of a difference in the long run unless you jump for something high end like Aquasoil.

Sand works fine, especially if you use root tabs. In low/medium light, your substrate choice isn't going to make that much of a difference in the long run unless you jump for something high end like Aquasoil.

Would it be better if I just pick u the ADA Aquasoil and just use that only? Or do I still need to lay the sand on top of it?

Fluvals planted aquarium substrate/clay!!!

Is it a new product from them?

Aquaforest Aquarium is the only online distributor In the US.

Wow finally they have it online, looked a few months back and I couldn't find a way to order it online. (Unless I suck at looking for the link lol).

Also how many bags/weight do I need for a 10 Gallon Low Light?
And which AquaSoil?

Thanks!

If you really want a planted tank substrate why not go with Eco complete? It comes in either a coarse gravel like grain size or a fine sand like grain size. It's a very popular substrate option.

If you really want a planted tank substrate why not go with Eco complete? It comes in either a coarse gravel like grain size or a fine sand like grain size. It's a very popular substrate option.

I'll look into that. Thanks! :D

If you like the look of aquasoil, Fluval Stratum isn't bad. It is a little pricey though. You could defiantly just get away with Eco. Aqua_chem is right???it's probably overkill for just low light.

If you like the look of aquasoil, Fluval Stratum isn't bad. It is a little pricey though. You could defiantly just get away with Eco. Aqua_chem is right???it's probably overkill for just low light.

So the better the substrate isn't the same as the more filter the better? Lol.

It all boils down to what you need. The more advanced the substrate the more issues that can arise from using it not to mention price. The eco complete is a great substrate for the price. With a low light tank you really don't need anything extravagant for a successful tank.

It depends upon the set up which you're going for. Aqua Soil I would recommend in a heart beat, but that being said, with low light and no co2 it's not going to really allow you to grow any plants that you wouldn't be able to grow with say Eco or floramax.

I'll chime in and say that people have mostly told you about the expensive alternatives here.

The benefit of all the substrates that have been mentioned above is that they have a high CEC (cation exchange capacity) so they will absorb nutrients from the water which become directly available for the roots. If you use regular sand or gravel they do not store the nutrients in high quantities like the substrates above. I run a low light tank using peat on the bottom, organinc potting mix and some clay (to improve CEC) with a large grained black sand over the top. My plants do ok and the only issue i have had with my tank is some algae (which is probably because i was running lights for too long). If you plan to use ferts in your tank then the one of the substrates with high CEC will mean you don't lose as much fertilizer with every water change. I will say that i have never used anything but the cheaper alternatives since i started planting tanks.

If you have the money to spare for any of the expensive substrates then they are probably worth using, but if you don't have the money then look into trying a cheaper method.

AquaSoil is amazing. But it takes 6 weeks to cycle and it's very lightweight so plants LOVE it, but they also uproot easily.

I use black sand in my 10g tanks and have one 5.5g with AquaSoil Amazonia Multi for Shrimp.
I wanted it for low PH.

For plants ?
Sand w root tabs and liquid Ferts work just fine.
And I like the look.

I grew a jungle with sand , Ferts and screw in CFLs. Zoomed UltraSuns :)

I'm using a soil they use to grow water Lillie's it's labeled as aquatic potting mix

Back
Top Bottom