Subtrate Sand and gravel question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
About one or two inches deep should work. You probably shouldn't put sand on gravel, though, because the sand will just get underneath. I have heard that that brand is good.

Hi! Mixing sand and gravel results in sand on the bottom and the gravel on top. I am not sure if your seeking to change your water parameters or not. Aragonite will buffer your water and raise your ph. If your not seeking to change your water chemistry, then look for silica sand which is nonreactive in water.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Argonite is crystalline calcium carbonate. Marine tank owners use it to buffer their tank up towards 8.5 pH which is where natural sea water sits.

I'd use something else but make sure it won't leech silicate into the water or you'll turn your tank into a diatom farm!

Hi! I love my dojo loach it's my all time favorite fish. 2 inches of sand would be perfect as sometimes they like to bury themselves. As stated above sand is smaller than gravel and eventually you would end up with gravel on top. I'd stick with just sand.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Mine is content on his own but groups are never a bad idea with loaches. And yes they do get big. Mine got threw 3.5 inches the first 3
4 months I've had him.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

What could you recommend? I was not aware of a leeching problem with sand. I just thought the argonite would be very beautiful under blue light. I am not very experienced in this yet and want to make sure I am making best decisions before set up and adding fish.
I have
26 bow front ank
fluval 306 external cannister

I am still seeking a good heater and thermometer (Are there digital ones?)
decor
background

and not sure about plants. Would like real plants but want something that is very easy to maintain. Any advice is greatly appreciate.

I would avoid Argonite sand unless you are setting up an African Cichlid tank.

I use CaribSea Tahitian Moon Sand Black. You'd need about 40lbs. They make white sand as well.
CaribSea Moonlight Sand is the white one. This is pH neutral so it won't raise your pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

why so much sand

40 lbs of sand for a 26 gallon tank? That seems like a lot.

Back
Top Bottom