Sudden fish death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

majormo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had three male fancy guppies in a 2.5g tank (not a great set up I know but they used to be in an unfiltered vase, and it's all I can afford, and definitely better than how they were living before) that's been incredibly stable, 0nitrite 0ammonia, with only minor temperature fluctuations, that I do a 20% water change every 4-6 days. The fish were healthily coloured, on a diet of tropical flakes, with occasional blood worm and fresh veggie treats/supplements. They loved it the vase for 3 months and the tank for 6, and one died last night. There were no visible signs of illness, but I noticed he wasn't eating yesterday, but was still very active. I found him dead this morning.

Does anyone know what could have killed him? Should I be worried about the other two? The three of them never fought or nipped at each other, and the only thing that looked different about him when I found him was his belly was a little swollen. There's 0 Ammonia and 0.5 nitrite as of today.

What could have killed them?...
Lack of suitable living conditions.

I understand finances being tight. But a new 10 gallon tank is less than $15 at my lfs and used ones can be had just to get rid of them, I have had to quit taking them I have so many.

A decent filter is less than $20, as is a light. If you want your fish to prosper and lead a long life proper housing and clean water are the most important things you can do for them and will usually lead to great success in the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom