Sudden puffer fish death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lesbionest

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had 2 green puffers (ceylon or topaz puffers) that were the same age. Doing fine. All happy and healthy. Both just suddenly died today. Came back from class and found both of them upside down floating around the tank. I have 3 figure 8 puffers in the same tank and they are all fine. It was only the 2. They were fine this morning. And I'm really shocked and sad to find them dead. Does anybody know what might have caused this sudden death and should I be worried for my f8's?

ForumRunner_20130122_211910.jpg

I had 2 green puffers (ceylon or topaz puffers) that were the same age. Doing fine. All happy and healthy. Both just suddenly died today. Came back from class and found both of them upside down floating around the tank. I have 3 figure 8 puffers in the same tank and they are all fine. It was only the 2. They were fine this morning. And I'm really shocked and sad to find them dead. Does anybody know what might have caused this sudden death and should I be worried for my f8's?

View attachment 146393
More details please? Water parameters? Size Tank?

Parameters? It's a 29 gallon tank. I've had these fish since they were babies. Water kept around 78-80. Brackish tank. There was no color fading on either of them to indicate they were sick. I'm getting my water tested tomorrow to make sure my f8's will be okay.
Only thing ive been doing different is this past week I've started adding algae drops to the tank, but it's nothing I haven't done before

Parameters? It's a 29 gallon tank. I've had these fish since they were babies. Water kept around 78-80. Brackish tank. There was no color fading on either of them to indicate they were sick. I'm getting my water tested tomorrow to make sure my f8's will be okay.
Only thing ive been doing different is this past week I've started adding algae drops to the tank, but it's nothing I haven't done before
Did you check if they were sick at that time?

You can usually tell if a puffer is sick by the fading of their color. When they're nervous or sick they're colors will dull. Both fish that died today have had bright colors, eating perfectly fine, no marks or anything unusual, swimming around content. I guess I find it odd that both of the same fish died. And the other type is fine.

Figure 8 and Ceylons require different types of brackish water and cannot live together.

Figure 8 is low-end brackish
Ceylons are high-end brackish (better kept in saltwater is captivity)

That can't be why they died. Ive had these fish kept together for at least 6 months.

Unfortunately it can be the reason behind the cause of death. The lifespan of a high-end brackish fish can dramatically decrease due to living in incorrect salinity level.

Its actually easy to assess the reason why a puffer die (most of the time). If you read my figure 8 and green spotted puffer profile, then you can better understand the difference in care. There is no ceylon puffer profile since it requires the same level of care as a green spotted puffer.

Improper water salinity is only one of the likely cause of death. Other unmet standard requirement could also account for your fishes death. Are you doing 50% water changes? Is the tank size big enough and meet minimum tank size requirement PER puffer? Are you overfeeding? There are many more questions about standard requirement if you want to answer more.

These standard requirements are set by people who have kept puffers living for over 10 years without problems. If you can meet these standard requirement, then all of your puffers can live as long as dogs.

The longest puffer I've had is 2 years. The rest were acquired within the last year. And they've been doing fine. Happy and eating. If it was something wrong with the tank I'm sure more than just the ceylon puffers would have been affected. When I chanhe water I do 10% because that's what I was told. I keep the water 78-80 degrees. Thermometer is automatic. Clean filter cartridge every 3-4 weeks depending on how the tank is doing. I hadn't even had the ceylon for over a year. Had them since they were babies. So I really dont think the death was because of something i did to not take care of them properly. But thanks.

And I had a green spotted puffer just as long as I had the 2 year figure 8 (which I still have) I recently gave it away because it became too aggressive. But it was beautiful. Happy, all around bright bright green. Did wonderful in the tank.

Since you say you took care of them properly, I guess there is no explanation to why they died. We can just say it was a fluke. If you want to find a better answer, then you will have to be honest with yourself and study the standards of care for ceylons and figure 8. I can believe one ceylon dying randomly, but its hard to believe 2 ceylons died at the same time with proper care.

I'm not sure but if we ask for help and receive it from those who are experts in said field it might be a good idea to step back from our own pride and think maybie there is something a little better we can do do help our little guys in our tanks out. I truly would take his word to heart, his experience with puffers is astounding and honestly he was not trying to be insulting...just helpfull.

An expert who got his information from googling. I'm not being prideful. I truly don't belive it was something I did. And to insinuate I did isn't appreciated.

An expert who got his information from googling. I'm not being prideful. I truly don't belive it was something I did. And to insinuate I did isn't appreciated.

Ok, I'm not sure if you have read up on his experience or if you even know how to...but to be quite honest, you were the one asking for help...and he (an expert in the puffer field) gave you help. You can take the help you are offered with an open mind or you can continue to do things you have done up until this point which quite possibly is the reason for the death of the fish you are concerned about. No sense in being insulted, that was not his intent (unlike your google comment)....he's just trying to help you. No worries... Have a great day :)

Actually, he says in his puffer profiles the information was gathered from hours of searching the internet. have a good day :)

If you don't have a test kit to check your water then you can't really know way happened. I would get on right away.

I am. I siphoned a few gallons out last night and added some start right. I think I'm going to a fish store when my ma gets home to test the water

Hopefully you can get your own test kit soon. Online they are cheaper. At most lfs they test with strips that are very inaccurate.

Back
Top Bottom