Suggestions: 125 Gal in wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TSRep

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm planning on building wall and putting my 125 Gal tank in it. I'm looking for any suggestions, plans, or stories about their attempts.

I love DIY projects and creating unique conversation pieces. Since it's all new construction I'm sure there are some great ideas.

Make it a closet so you can access the tank from the back. It'll make maintenance a lot easier.

So its fresh water for the cat and not planted I assume.
Do you want it closet type or double sided with access doors (top/bottom).
What part of the house is it going in? (Kitchen, livingroom, entry, ECT)
You bringing water/power/drain to the area?
What kind of budget you got and what is the rest of the house done in material (oak, pine, paint grade, ECT)?
You going to build the structure/trim yourself or hire it out?

If I was looking for a wow! Tank I would build a double see-thru with cabinet grade faces with above and below access doors and hinged end panel(s) for water change area(s).
If it was in an entry area I would add a storage bench seat so you can put shoes on or stand on it to work on/in the tank.

It is freshwater and because he is such a behemoth anything we put in there will get dug up if it isn't weighted well.

This might be a little difficult to picture but I'll try to paint a picture. My basement has a finished recreation room. That room is part of an addition to the house so the inside wall is against the original foundation. Part of that foundation wall has been removed (it has been reinforced).

So here's the plan; build the tank into the wall and use the opening in the foundation wall as access to the back. I have access to water, electric, and extra space in the room on the back of the tank (it's a laundry/workbench/furnace room). The original basement floor is about 15" higher than the floor in the Rec room (the viewing room).

I plan on doing all the work myself. I did my own plumbing in the house and am skilled in electrical work. I bought the house less than a year ago and already built a brand new bathroom in the basement.

The access in the back will be where I plan to put the filter, do the water changes, and deal with the less attractive equipment or whatever. I like the idea of a storage bench by the tank. I have little cousins, nephews, & nieces that would stand on a bench to see into the tank.

As for the design of the room… I plan to basically redo the whole Rec room. It currently has ugly paneling, poorly done tile, and I already tore down the drop ceiling. I'm going to Sheetrock everything, so the tank wall will use the same rock as my bathroom to deal with any water.

What do you mean a "double see-thru?" Would that be a paned window in front of the tank, or were you thinking of viewing from both sides?

Attachments

• image-3090234347.jpg
    image-3090234347.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 124
  • image-1073995849.jpg
    image-1073995849.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 145
Double see-thru = viewing from both sides. I have a client now that has a perfect spot in their basement for a tank(s) but they dont want the work that would come with fish. :(
the fish looks happy in the pipe. about time for a new pipe. lol Show a picture of your fish like that to a plumber and I bet he would give you a piece for a new home.(soften the edges with some sandpaper before giving it to him)

well if you got some wood skills I would try to trim it out in a hardwood. I can see the whole build in my head. if you lived closer I'd come over and give ya a hand.
I could tell ya how to build it but you would have to give me a little while to get some drawings made up.

I built this window seat in a home once. with all your pump/tank needs being behind your tank it wouldn't be hard to place a item like this under your tank. in the middle you could build a step stool that you could pull out for the kiddos to be able to see in. this would also make a great place for lots of things you would need in a rec room.
img_1258273_0_a43e3ddd05669483ad17d85c14dcc17b.jpg

Following along I don't have any suggestions but sounds like a great idea and would love to do something like that someday.

I would love to turn a new home for ol' Blue. I've never done that before. I don't think I have the right equipment for it.

I thought you were talking about turning a Haywood tunnel for him. He currently has 4" PVC. Definitely needs something bigger. When he was smaller we has some more "natural" looking tunnels for him. That's what I'd like to do for him.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I should install some nocturnal lighting. Blue likes it dark.

TSRep said:
I thought you were talking about turning a Haywood tunnel for him. He currently has 4" PVC. Definitely needs something bigger. When he was smaller we has some more "natural" looking tunnels for him. That's what I'd like to do for him.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I should install some nocturnal lighting. Blue likes it dark.

Great idea on a tank wall and I think a 3 sided veiwing design would be awe inspiring. Just do all your in/out to the tank on the end butted up against an existing wall and everything in an equipment closet/room right behind it. Bench surround (full/partial?) for seating, kid viewing boosters and lift lids for rec room storage.

As for a cave for old blue, there's some threads here about making rock from concrete (and foam?) and it could easily be adapted to your needs.

Following for sure!

Back
Top Bottom