Suggestions anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwk5270

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 40 gallon tall hexagon aquarium. Currently have three half dollar sizes angels, one cory cat, and one Raphael catfish. First off, everytime I try to keep cory cats in this tank they seem to die off. The angels are doing okay and so is the Raphael catfish. I do weekly or sometimes twice a week water changes. I have a aquaclear 50, and a marineland duetto 100 filter running. Finally, my water is always tinted yellow. I believe it is from my driftwood, but its been submerged in the water for about a year now. Any suggestions or clues on what's going on would be greatly appreciated!!

I would definatly try to get some more Cory cats to keep it company. I heard Corey cats don't like a high ph (that's what my LFS told me) so maybe get your water checked. If all your other fish are doing fine it could deffinatly be just something wrong with those fish and nothing with your tank. It could be the driftwood making your water yellow but usually if it's been underwater for a long time it shouldn't do that. Try getting new drift wood and soak that one really good and see if your water clears :)

^+1. I recommend getting 4-5 more cories. In most cases, a stable pH is more important than the level. So as long as your pH is not outrageously high (8.6+) and the level is stable, you should be fine. Also, I don't think 3 angelfish is a good idea. If 2 pair up then the other will get mercilessly harassed.

Driftwood can leach tannins and stain your water for years sometimes. It's perfectly harmless though so unless you strongly dislike it I wouldn't worry about it. You can also boil your driftwood to speed the leaching process.

I doubt you have high ph if there is tannin staining your water. More likely you have lower ph. As mentioned, unless you just hate the color I would keep the tannin because it acctually bennificial for alot of amozonian fish. It is abit bacterial and anti fungal. Not sure why the Cory's didn't do well.

It depends on the degree of the tannin stain. A light tannin stain will not reduce pH much so the OP could still have a high pH with tannins.

Thanks everyone. The ph is around 8. You think that many more cory cats will be okay? I am keeping an eye on the angels to make sure they are okay. I'm not worried about the yellow color In the water I just wasn't a hundred percent sure why it was yellow.

Okay its just that everytime I get more cories they eventually die. I'm not sure why. I feed them sinking tablets every day or every other say

If you have trouble with Cories, then best stay away from them. A 40 Hex does not have alot of bottom space and the Raphael Cat would do best having it for him/her self. As for the angels, if they are that size and are not having anything other than typical angel bickering, but they stay somewhat together, chances are you might have lucked out with having a male and two females. In that case your fine. They are of breeding age/size so have they ever spawned in the tank? I'd leave them alone unless you suddenly see two pair off and start harassing the third. The tannins are natural in waters where angels are from. I actually use peat balls and almond leaves to add tannins into my 220 gal tank. If the color bothers you either carbon or purgen will remove it. Purgen works the best the fastest. I had a piece of driftwood that literally leeched over 5 years in a tank. And I mean it leeched till the water was brown! In pieces like that no amount of soaking, boiling, or anything will do any good. Don't know why. And yes, tannins act as a anti-bacterial and anti-fungal so its not a bad thing. My water is yellowish when I do a WC but to look in the tank you really can't see it. Something else you might want to consider, you have angels that stay in the middle to top area of the tank, a Cat that uses the bottom of the tank, so why don't you consider a small group of 6 tetras to swim in the mid strata of the water (that is unless Raphael Cats eat smaller fish). Something like Lemon or Diamond tetras would be good. Plus they usually are not fin nippers which you have to watch having angels. They would add some nice schooling movement to your tank. Hope this helps.

Awesome! Thanks a lot. I will definitely look into some smaller schooling fish. My angels have not yet spawned, but I am waiting for them too and hoping they will. I had angels before that spawned all the time until the one angel passed away :/ are there any other tetras that are good for a school? And I'm glad to hear the tannins aren't bad for the tank.

If your Raphael Cat isn't a fish eater, you could do cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras (I have a school of 21 and a school of 13 Diamonds) You can't appreciate Diamonds from pictures. Once you get them and they destress, adults glitter in the light like diamonds, with all the sutle blues and purples. Any small non nipping tetras will work. Those 4 I know do fine as I've had them all with angels. You can also look into Rasboras. I'm just a tetra person :) Calling it a night, let me know what you end up getting.

Well I got six rummy nose tetras today! Acclimating them at the moment.. my angels are looking at them through the bag...

The tetras did not work out.. the angels tried eating them so I had to pull them out

dwk5270 said:
The tetras did not work out.. the angels tried eating them so I had to pull them out

How small we're your Rummys?? Rummys get to a decent size. If they are getting eaten I would go with the Lemon Tetra. They are tall bodied.

They weren't too small almost an inch. They killed one so I returned them... The lady at the store said they might do that to any fish I add

dwk5270 said:
They weren't too small almost an inch. They killed one so I returned them... The lady at the store said they might do that to any fish I add

Hmmm I was afraid of that. Angels, as all Cichlids, are territorial. Sorry to ask this but what are the dimensions of the tank? At least height x width wise.

I posted one solution on the angelfish/rummy post. Sometimes with overly aggressive cichlids you need to remove them (in your case the angels) to a bucket for a short time. Rearrange the tank to make it look different, add the new fish, then reintroduce the old fish. Suddenly its not the same tank and the angels have to re-establish themselves. Sorry it didn't work out but that isn't normal.

Back
Top Bottom